720 or 1080?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by AudiophileUk, Sep 19, 2007.

1. AudiophileUk

AudiophileUk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Hi Guys. Been wanting to upgrade from my screenplay 4805 for a while now but been a bit strapped for cash!

Alwasy fancied the in76 so i could use my projecotr for the PC and gaming, and noticed i can get a refurb for around £700 now. However at 1280x720 i wonder if the res will be a little low for gaming and whether i should look for a 1080? How much can you pick up one for now, i want to spend under a £1000 refurb or not.

Thanks!

2. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,647
    Most games will be/are 720p native on consoles, so getting a 1080p specificaly for console gaming will not give you the native resolution advantage. Although for blueray/hd dvd and pc the resolution will come into its own. What most people say is that look at resolution last when considering an 720p or 1080p model unless you have a specific need for it. A good projector will look good regardless of its resolution (upto a point) but other factors, like placement, dlp rainbows or misconvergence on multi paneled technologies, fan noise and not forgetting optics, can make or break a decission. Also remember that a downscaled image will usualy look better than an upscaled one (its easier to downscale as you have more image to play with, upscaling is more diffiuclt as your tying to make something out of nothing as it were).

The vast majority of modern projectors give a breath taking picture so its hard to buy a bad one, just difficult to get the one thats perfect for your needs. Personly sharpness and black levels are the most important things, so i've always went DLP. The next generation of projectors from all technologies have generaly improved in the area, with newer LCD's meant to produce very decent blacks. I believe the quality of optics generaly affect the sharpness although they do a lot more than just that, and thats why the more expensive projecots are megabucks but seem to be based on the same chipset ect..

I got a Yamaha DPX-830 720p recently and moved up from a X1(aka 4800) and couldn't be happier except from the loss of the farudja scalar, but an oppo dvd player will sort that out when i get some cash. I would recomend this model to anyone who has an older infocus projector, as its near silent (unlike pretty much any of theirs), the blacks are a real improvement on my X1, and in general the image is sharper and more detailed. The in76 is cheaper and is ment to be a cracker so i doubt you'd be disapointed, the referb ones from uinfocus on ebay are ment to be fine and you get a warranty and everything, just miss some acessories apparently, i've seen a in78 for near £1k on there at one point to. This is probably the last generation of 720p projectors that are any more than lip service, as the money is in 1080p now and thats where all the R&D will be.

3. DMT

DMT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Well you can't argue with that;)

4. AudiophileUk

AudiophileUk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    thanks for the response, good to put it in some perspective. I guess ireally *do* have a need for a decent resolution, as my PC is very much part of my HT setup (inc pc gaming). I dont actually own a BR/HD player yet so i wouldnt benefit from 720 or 1080 in that area at the moment...

thankyou