71ft LED strip installation Beginner please help

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by SohaibZee, Aug 15, 2013.

1. SohaibZee

SohaibZee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I have 2 weeks to install some LED mood lighting in my living room i want it to be a surprise for my mum, when she gets back from holiday, also i have absolutely zero electrician experience i study finance and i don't really know much about the terminology either. So if you could factor this in to any replies it'd be much appreciated.

I had originally thought i'd just buy a 20m strip roll of RGB LED's and then and additional 5m roll hook up an RGB controller and a transformer and everything would be fine, but after reading a few blogs it looks like it's not that easy :facepalm:, some blogs are talking about RGB amplifiers and i have absolutely no idea what type of transformer to buy.

Also i am quite unsure about how to connect two separate strips of LED's or if i need to cut a strip to make it fit how or what i would use to re-connect it to the rest.

If anyone could offer any help it'd be much appreciated, preferably on a step by step basis, if that's ok.

Thanks

:lease:

2. supraTTman

supraTTman
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +166
    If you go for 30 LED/m strips rather than 60, and an LED controller rated at 5A/channel or more, then the wiring is quite straight forward as you won't need an RGB amplifier - see attached.

So, for 22m of 30/m RGB strip, you can see that a 15A or 20A power supply (switched mode supply- we don't use 'transformers' any more) will be required. The cut points on 30/m strips are every 10cm - just use a sharp stanley knife.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 16, 2013