717 or 636?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Hanzo, Mar 6, 2001.

1. Hanzo

Hanzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello people!

I have been looking for a good DVD player for ages now, and I have narowed down to the Pioneer 636 or the 717. The price for the 636 here in norway is 5300,- NOK for the 636 and 6400,- for the 717. I'm not sure what player I should get, both are region free and sound like great players. Does the 717 offer better performance on picture and sound, is it worth the extra money? I would like to know what people here think before I spend my money!

2. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Though the 717 has always been said to be an excellent performer it is a bit dated by now (replaced by 737) and has always suffered from a so-called lip sync problem (picture and sound out of synchronization).
    Looking at the recent development (progressive scan, DVD-A, recordable DVD etc) I would rather opt for a cheaper, mid-range model like the 636 - unless you would have some specific requirements or enough cash to spare.