Quantcast

70PUS6724 - a frustrating experience!

Individual1

Novice Member
So I´ve had the 70PUS6724 now for 2 months.

I was originally planning on getting the One 7304 but reading specs and comparing them in store, there didn´t seem to be any noticeble difference between them, except Saphi/Android, Alexa support and the old gen. P5 vs. Pixel Perfect. If anything I thought the 6000 series had slightly better picture.

However, the 6724 is extremely frustrating. I was spending days trying to calibrate the picture without much progress. It did show potential sure, some video material looked really good, while others looked like sh*t, even HDR. Light sources like braziers with dark background looked horrible, with artifacts and noise all over. Colors looked bland and pale.

Ofcourse the firmware online-update didn´t work so I went the USB route. On the Philips website no firmware exist for the 6724, so I got firmware 091.002.078.253 from the 6704 support site. Interestingly the tv said its current firmware was newer than the one I had just downloaded, but I installed it anyway. Huge improvements to picture quality. It´s not perfect by any means but DV and HDR actually looks somewhat impressive. Still some lower quality Netflix material, like the Millenium trilogy, looks bad, but I can live with that. There is also clouding going from bottom left corner to top right. Kinda annoying but it´s manageble I guess. Atleast since I only payed around 750 EUR for this massive tv.

The most irritating thing about the 6724 though is it´s painfully slow! Like switching sources, starting netflix or changing picture setting can take 5-10 seconds. It´s like working with an old Pentium 1 processor. And it got even slower after updating. I read somewhere about a hack to make it run faster, anybody knows? Or is it just Saphi being sh*te?

Also If anyone has some picture setting for the 6000 series I´d really appreciate if you could share them to see if I can improve even more....

Zeeser

Novice Member
I own this tv too and have similar experiences to yours. For example the netflix show The Ranch looks like sh*t, at least the newer episodes with dolby vision, grainy and dark. I made a thread about the judder/flicker on darker objects when camera pans or moves in any direction, drives me crazy! Have you experienced that?

For the picture settings I have just followed what has been recommended in this thread: Philips 55PUS6703 - Motion problem

Individual1

Novice Member
I own this tv too and have similar experiences to yours. For example the netflix show The Ranch looks like sh*t, at least the newer episodes with dolby vision, grainy and dark. I made a thread about the judder/flicker on darker objects when camera pans or moves in any direction, drives me crazy! Have you experienced that?

For the picture settings I have just followed what has been recommended in this thread: Philips 55PUS6703 - Motion problem
I definitely had those same problems but it got better with the firmware update. What version are you running?

Robothamster

Distinguished Member
The most irritating thing about the 6724 though is it´s painfully slow! Like switching sources, starting netflix or changing picture setting can take 5-10 seconds. It´s like working with an old Pentium 1 processor. And it got even slower after updating. I read somewhere about a hack to make it run faster, anybody knows? Or is it just Saphi being sh*te?
I have the OLED754 with Saphi and rest assured, it's painfully slow even on the more expensive set!

Zeeser

Novice Member
I definitely had those same problems but it got better with the firmware update. What version are you running?
I did the newest firmware update via usb that was available for 6704. I feel like mine went just worse after that, I dont know if this is a little faulty unit. For example the movie Fury in Netflix is just horrible to watch because of all the flicker and judder. I just can't focus on anything else :D