7010ix issues?

RitchieTheBrit

Novice Member
Hey peeps, long time no visit! Long story.

Anyway, for the last four months or so, my HTPC has been SO unstable, it became barely usable! I have formatted, tinkered, cleaned and updated the hell out of it, and it works for a while, then I suffer random crashes again. I THINK its down to the 7010ix card.

I was getting a general error via BSoD that meant a driver was addressing memory incorrectly. I disabled the service that watches for this, and the crashes started again about a week later, but this time they were all over the place, loads of different problems, hence why I believe that the 7010ix drivers may be responsible.

Any ideas? I have dual booted Mythuntu hoping it would solve the driver issues, but it's not supported in the V4L package, grrrrrrr!

Next step i might take is to format Windows and try my 32bit disk. Maybe the drivers will be more stable in 32bit?

All the hardware seems to benchmark and burn-in fine, it just seems to be anything to do with the 7010ix that causes issues.

Failing that, I have the use of a Nova 500 non-Diversity (my old card my friend bought from me), which will indeed tell me if it's related to the card if I swap them over. I must admit, I'm intrigued by MythTV, any users with a similar config to mine running it?

jameson_uk

Novice Member
More than likely. I replaced my 7010ix many moons ago as was having issues with stability. I initially had a compro s350f and peak dual dvb-t setup and there was an immediate massive improvement I'm stability. Now on a nova HD and black gold bgt 3620 and even better.

I know many people who have had massive issues with the 7010ix. I was so glad I got rid of mine

nick8571

Novice Member
Anyway, for the last four months or so, my HTPC has been SO unstable, it became barely usable! I have formatted, tinkered, cleaned and updated the hell out of it, and it works for a while, then I suffer random crashes again. I THINK its down to the 7010ix card.

Next step i might take is to format Windows and try my 32bit disk. Maybe the drivers will be more stable in 32bit?
It probably doesn't help with your problem, but my 7010iX always ran absolutely flawlessly under Win7 x64, using the Win7 inbuilt drivers. I'd still be using it now if the BBC hadn't switched their HD channels to DVB-S2.

I'd suspect the root cause of your issues lies elsewhere, unless the card itself is faulty in a hardware sense (not impossible of course).

RitchieTheBrit

Novice Member
Well, that's the strange thing, it DID run fine (except the prolonged channel changes) until an update a while ago. I can't say for certain whether I have ran it without updating, it was a while ago I did a complete format, it's possible that after it was running okay I updated. It's just a crying shame that the cards are unsupported, as they are great little cards to be honest!

nick8571

Novice Member
Well, it's possible I suppose, it wouldn't be the first time an update has broken something that previously worked OK...

Is there anything interesting in the Windows event viewer?

djcla

Distinguished Member
best thing i ever did was ditch the 7010IX cant be certain it was the cause of a lot of stability issues i had but things are running much better without it

tony_park

Hi,

I've still got one installed in an htpc, and found I had stability issues. It previously worked fine under Vista.

What I found helped, was connecting a floppy power lead to the card. Not sure why it should be needed, but I've not had a problem since!

Tony

RitchieTheBrit

Novice Member
Hi,

What I found helped, was connecting a floppy power lead to the card. Not sure why it should be needed, but I've not had a problem since!

Tony

Hmmmmm, no, I haven't. I thought that was purely for the disqeque/LNB functionality. I'll have to try that!

djcla

Distinguished Member
Hi,

I've still got one installed in an htpc, and found I had stability issues. It previously worked fine under Vista.

Tony

i did wonder about that when i took it out to sell it lol but thought nah surely not

tony_park

i did wonder about that when i took it out to sell it lol but thought nah surely not

ha ha, yep - know what you mean!

I had problems with the card not being recognised after resume from sleep - and ever since, it seems to have worked ok, maybe there was one hiccup, but that's once in probably 6 months now. Better than a consistent 100% problem :thumbsup:

RitchieTheBrit

Novice Member
What I found helped, was connecting a floppy power lead to the card.

Tony

Tony, just taken a look at some images online while I am on lunch, where exactly did you connect the floppy power connector? The connectors on the back are listed as audio in and out, and video in and out :confused:

The Blackgold BGT3595 requires power, HERE

This is the pinout at the back of the 7010ix...

Attachments

• 7010_pinout.jpg
    7010_pinout.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 173

tony_park

Hi Ritchie,

I think I must have connected to the audio out! But its not caused any problems... in fact seems to have helped!

Tony
:suicide:

RitchieTheBrit

Novice Member
Hahahahahaha! I think I'll pass on that, I can still get a few quid for the card! Might just try 32bit Win7, see if that helps.

djcla

Distinguished Member
not convinced those lables tally up with what i had written on the card ? im sure where you have audio out was labled auto wakeup on my card but i dont have it anymore to check

tony_park

I may be taking my pc to bits this weekend, so may have a peek at the card to see... let you know

RitchieTheBrit

Novice Member
I may pull mine tonight and take a look, that was taken from the manual that I managed to find. I would upload it, but it's too large.

You can download it from HERE

tony_park

Not sure, I know I've connected to the middle of the 'audio' connectors.... and since then, its worked fine... may just be seated better now, maybe I'll try unplugging the power, and seeing if we start seeing the same problem again

RitchieTheBrit

Novice Member
Well, pulled the card, booted into MythTV to watch a movie, and I got a random reboot after ten minutes idle! May be a deeper issue than the TV card... hmmmmmm...

For the record, I checked my card, and it is indeed labelled up like the diagram, on the back.

nick8571

Novice Member
Well, pulled the card, booted into MythTV to watch a movie, and I got a random reboot after ten minutes idle! May be a deeper issue than the TV card... hmmmmmm...
Not sure if you missed my earlier post, but have you checked the Windows event viewer? Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer > Event Viewer (Local) > Custom Views > Administrative Events

Have a look for anything odd which may have been happening around the same time as (or just before) a reboot/hang/BSOD occurred, particularly if the same error keeps popping up.

edit: my gut feeling from what I've read is that you may have some bad RAM, perhaps you could you try pulling one stick at a time and see if the system stabilises.

Last edited:

RitchieTheBrit

Novice Member
Like I said, I formatted the machine in a temper. Always feel smug killing Windows!

I have pulled the RAM and reseated it. I'll see if that helps. Not had an issue since, and I now have the Nova running in both Win7 and Mythbuntu, although the quality under MythTV is horrid, due to my deinterlacing settings lol!

Fingers crossed it just needed reseating. But hey, my channel changes are blazingly fast again, and I don't use the DVB-S inputs.

RitchieTheBrit

Novice Member
Well, been a few days now, and it running brilliantly! Got my custom menus back, just upgraded PowerDVD and it seems to be sleeping and resuming just dandy :D No idea if I needed MCE standby tool, but I install it out of habit.

Happy chap all round. Considering going with DVB-T2 next year...

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology

Latest News

AVForums Podcast: 27th February 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Musical Fidelity launches M3x Vinyl phono stage
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
SVS launches 1000 Pro Series subwoofers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
T+A launches new Caruso R music system plus optional speakers
  • By Andy Bassett