700/1000 Enough Muscle with B&W 700s?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Jack D, Mar 11, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Jack D

Jack D
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm doing a full upgrade of my HT system and am considering purchasing the Arcam avp700/P1000 combo. I have a full set of B&W 700s on order (703, HTM7, 705s). My main concern is that the P1000 might not have enough muscle at 135 wpc. I'm not a blaster but my general feeling is that more power is better--all other things equal--even if you don't run the volume up.

Alternatively I was thinking of maybe going with an Anthem MCA50 for the amp given it does have more muscle.

Any reactions?

Thanks.

2. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,269
    Why not consider the P7 instead, it will certainly have the muscle.

3. Jack D

Jack D
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's about twice the price for only 150 wpc. Is it really worth it? I could get a more powerful amp from other good companies for less.

4. kishoo

kishoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    The FMJ P7 is a suberb amplifier... Twice the amp ????

Hard to say to really depends how you like you like your music.

The P1000 is certanly a superb product at a reasonable price......And the only thing that I would use as an alternative is the P7.

Best thing to do is to have a dem of them both back to back and make your own mind up....

Kishoo

5. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,269
    The P7 may not look much more powerful on paper, but it has bigger power supplies and will have much more on reserve fro driving big hungry speakers like the B&Ws. Anyone who has listened to the P1000 versus the P7 would notice the immediate improvement.

6. swall101

swall101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    D'ont forget you can pick the P7/AV8 combo up ex dem with full warranty for prices that are very comparable with a new 700/1000. Check out the specials on the Sevenoaks site, also Audio T site.

7. paulst10

paulst10
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,254
    it really depends on how loud you listen to them, my avr300 has more than enough muscle to drive mine in the room im in at the moment, which is 6m x 3m with amp vol around 70db.

i only really noticed this when my avr300 got sent in for repair and my dealer lent me a pioneer ax2... which IMO doesnt have the muscle to power them like an avr300 does

8. Jack D

Jack D
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm in the States!

9. Jack D

Jack D
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My main room is 7.4 x 5 and is adjacent to another room that is 4 x 6 with a large opening to connect the rooms. So I've got a lot of cubic meters to fill.

You are referring to music only or also movies? I notice you've got the 704s, which don't have the extra driver as do the 703s, and are bi-amping them. I suppose if I went with the P1000 I'd be passive biamping my 703s too.

Thanks for the feedback.

10. Jack D

Jack D
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I guess what I'm really saying is that if the P1000 isn't enough I just don't want to pay a P7 like price for the amp. I'd go with something else a bit cheaper and I'm not at all convinced I'd be sacrificing SQ vs P7 but, then again, I haven't demoed them.

11. Jack D

Jack D
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why? You think there is no other amp that can work as well with the AVR700 as a P7 or P1000?

12. thatMikeguy

thatMikeguy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hey Jack D,
    I am currently running an AVP700 with a Sherbourn 7/2100. I demoed this amp against the P1000 before purchase and I have no hesitation in saying that to my ears it out performed the P1000 easily. It is a very affordable amp with ALOT of power and yet still very refined. Having said all that I am currently saving my pennies to go up to a P7. The Sherbourn is great but the P7 is sublime. It is possible to get the P7 for less check out audiogon.com in the States if you don't mind second hand kit.
    Cheers

13. kishoo

kishoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Hell no !!

I have tried the AVP 700 with just about everyting that I can get my hands on, Linn , Naim , Rotel etc....

And they all work well with varying levels of success

But the is only one thing that will make me sell my beloved FMJ P7.. a Casse 5200 ( Slight problem, need to change rack as well .. Wonder how that will go down at home !!):suicide:

As said before always listen before you part with your hard earned cash...

14. Jack D

Jack D
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I hate (at least some) dealers! :mad:

The local dealer for both Arcam and Anthem gave me a big load of bull yesterday. First he tried to talk me out of the B&W 700s. He said B&W only really start getting good with the 800 series. He said the 700s come off bright. Second, he really pushed the P1000 compared to the Anthem MCA-50 saying that the MCA would exacerbate the brightness of the B&W 700s. Also they will not let me audition the two amps. They have some sort of zero stock on hand policy so would have to order both amps. Again, the only reason I'm hesitating on the P1000 is the concern about power.

15. Hifi addict

Hifi addict

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the P1000 will have plenty of power if you take the 703, for sure if you bi-amp your fronts (which the P1000 is capable of). Another option would be to go for a P35/3 + P35

16. Jack D

Jack D
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry I don't follow.

1. The 703s have three drivers which is one more than the 704s, so why do you say I will have enough power if I take the 703.

2. A quick look at the P35 manual indicates that in the P35/3 there are 90 wpc. How does that give me more power than the P1000.

Any idea of the MSRP for the P35 and P35/3?

Why not 5 P1s? (MSRP?). Then I get 175 wpc. Or maybe 3 P1s and 1 P35 for the rears.

17. swall101

swall101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Sounds like you are not after any advice, cos you seem to 'know it all' anyway.

18. Jack D

Jack D
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry if I came across that way to you but I'm just searching for options and trying to understand the proposals put out there.

19. swall101

swall101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    No probs..... Had a late night on the beer.... so a bit grumpy.

Is there no posibility of getting ex dem P7 in the states?

When I demoed I listened to the 700/1000 combo driving 704s and 805s and it sounded good to me. The only reason I went AV8/P7 was because I got them ex dem with full 5 year warranty for the same'ish money.

20. Jack D

Jack D
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't know about ex dems here. I guess it's worth checking out. If my local Arcam dealer is representative, however, there might not be many ex dems becuase there might not be that many dems in the first place.;) As I mentioned, the guy won't let me demo them.

21. swall101

swall101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    How does this guy ever sell anything if he doesn't allow demos. Sounds like you need to bin him and take your custom elsewhere.

22. Jack D

Jack D
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, I've tried to check around in my area but haven't found another dealer reasonably close. I guess as part of the deal with Arcam they don't allow a lot of authorized dealers in the same area.

23. Hifi addict

Hifi addict

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    anything in the B&W 700 range can be handled by the P1000.
    # Watt doesn't tell everything, the Amps a poweramp can deliver is much more important. If you really want a powerhouse then go for MF or Chord or Classe.

If you plan to go down the B&W 800 range in the near future then you really should listen first to the P1000/80x combination before you buy anything

24. booktrunk

booktrunk
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Is the P1000 seven channel, if so the you can also bi-amp the front left and right as you seem to be going for a 5.1 speaker setup :)

As an alternative if you do want to demo other things the new Rotel 1077 is worth a listen to.

25. Jack D

Jack D
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes it is 7 channel and I am going to try passive bi-amping. Finally the dealer relented and is going to let me take the P1000 and an MCA 50 home to test with my set up. It really was a bit of work getting to that point.

26. Jack D

Jack D
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Honestly, I hope I won't be making any upgrades to my new system for quite a while and the jump to the 800s is significant in terms of price.;) I'll just have to give a listen to the P1000/AVP 700 combo with my speakers. Then I'll know if it works for me.

27. RumNYC

RumNYC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    As far as I understand it, the power and the reserve power is needed for bass peaks. If you have a subwoofer, then 135wps will be fine. If not, you will certainly find you speakers lacking in the bass department, but depending in you choice of music, it might not even be noticable. I used to notice it with bass heavy electronic music--the punch was just not there. Once I added the Velo, all was well. I think my N804s are even more power hungry than the 700s you are considering.

28. Jack D

Jack D
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I will have an SVS PB-12 Ultra/2 so I don't think I'll have any speaker-related problems on the bottom end. Not to say that it will compare to your Velo but still, I'm not worried about that. You might be right and I might just be hung up on wpc ratings. I'll just have to give a listen and see for myself.