Question 70” TVs and android OS

2spookie

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

A couple of questions. I’m looking for a tv of about 70” and the front running set is the following:

Sony X830F| LED | 4K Ultra HD | High Dynamic Range | Smart TV (Android TV)

I have heard people say that android TV can get a bit laggy or non responsive at times. I plan to use an Apple TV to serve all my media content and would only be use if the Tv as a dumb HDMI receiver. Would the OS slowness issues that people have with android affect startup times and direct external input type operations? I don’t need to be using any of the inbuilt tv apps. When you are using a direct source does the OS keep out of your way?

Secondly I wonder about 70” TVs. There aren’t many of them but the Sony above seems to be a competent set. VA panel, 120hz etc. I’m coming from a plasma so movement is a big issue for me. How much do you think the tv will drop to on Black Friday. Would £1500 be realistic?

My other options would be a 65” OLED or a 75” LCD but the 75” might just be a bit too big to look right in the space. Why do so few manufacturers make 70” TVs? Is it just the efficiency of making certain pixel density panels?

Are you in the UK or USA? That is a North American TV not sold here.

Samsung 75MU7000 would be hard to turn down now at 75" @ £1700. I don't think you'll get better value than that...maybe the Hisense 75N6800 but that does not use a 120hz panel.

Motion enhancements are needed unlike with Plasma to improve motion on LCDs.

There is more reading here: Explanation and Best Buys for the Motion sensitive 2017 Edition
& Thinking of replacing your plasma?

If you're willing to wait and want a 2018 model instead then I'd keep an eye on the Samsung 75NU8000 and its pricing over time, right now at almost £2000 its actually not that bad. Picking it up for £1800 would be a steal. It has small updates over the MU7000 but a better anti reflection filter would be a good edition.

I think with lack of 70" its just here in Europe, in the USA and Canada there is a bigger market for larger sizes I guess.

That type is available in the uk I just posted the US site without realising!

https://ao.com/product/kd70xf8305bu-sony-xf83-tv-black-58871-108.aspx?WT.z_PT=AV&WT.z_AT=Led%20Tvs&WT.z_BR=Sony&WT.z_FT=Free%20Standing&WT.z_PC=KD70XF8305BU

Link might be broken but it’s available there. Oddly Argos has it too:

Sony 70.0 Televisions | Argos

Thanks for the links. I had a 65mu7000 that I sent back for vertical banding. I might be sour on Samsung due to that experience. JL was good at taking the set back though. I will reconsider the 75” options and maybe that 2018 nu8000

That type is available in the uk I just posted the US site without realising!

https://ao.com/product/kd70xf8305bu-sony-xf83-tv-black-58871-108.aspx?WT.z_PT=AV&WT.z_AT=Led%20Tvs&WT.z_BR=Sony&WT.z_FT=Free%20Standing&WT.z_PC=KD70XF8305BU

Link might be broken but it’s available there. Oddly Argos has it too:

Sony 70.0 Televisions | Argos

Thanks for the links. I had a 65mu7000 that I sent back for vertical banding. I might be sour on Samsung due to that experience. JL was good at taking the set back though. I will reconsider the 75” options and maybe that 2018 nu8000
So it is! The first I've seen of that model range at that size here in the UK.

I can't say I really know too much about them but if they are using VA panels they will likely perform the same as last years XE85 series which is decent for a mid range TV and around on par with the aforementioned Samsung's.

Screen uniformity is a mixed bag, there's not really any reason you'll get a better panel on the Sony than the Samsung really, its a panel lottery basically...although maybe if its panel from AUO it helps but I haven't sent any user feedback on these yet.
If you look at the comparisons rtings.com for example the Sony scored worse for screen uniformity but not enough for it to be margin of error from one same TV to the next.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom