7 Day EPG...WHen?

Skiddins

Standard Member
Reaction score
DOes anyone know when the 7 day EPG for the PACE units is coming into effect?

I seem to recall someone saying mid-April, but that clearly never happened!

Skiddins

I have heard that this is only in London though, and I think (possibly) only on Humax boxes. I have a Pace Twin also, and really want this ASAP!

"Freeview STB maker Humax have issued a news release indicating that it expects the BBC to resume trials of an 8 day EPG service on May 5. The trial will take place in London.

Humax is somewhat worried that changes since the last trial might cause the EPG data to load slowly or not completely for its users and it is monitoring the situation. It is also planning to update its software for its STBs to take account of these changes as soon as is possible."

and i bet if it works and goes nation wide the Pace Twin will not be compatable just like the card slot.

You can guarantee that for sure, pr1uk.. I've never understood Pace's attitude when it comes to keeping its own products competitive, aka card slot, EPG...I can only asume they don't want to make any money...come on Pace, get it together!

My Pace twin worked with the earlier extended EPG trials way back last year, it was just a little slow...

-Ian

A trial of an extended EPG has started in the London area.

My Pace box (one of the newer 210 models) is displaying program information for later this evening and tomorrow.

Unfortunately it doesn't cache any of it, so when you exit the guide to watch a channel and then select the guide again at a later point, you have to wait for it to repopulate again.

My twin, early model, seems a little faster than the earlier trial ~ now and next programs seem to load up much faster, even faster than original program guide, but programs further through the timeline appear presumably as and when they are transmitted.

Apart from vol+/vol- shortcuts that already exist, Pace could do with adding a few more like quicker navigation through timeline.

Hopefully Pace could also do a poor mans PDC, so that if scheduled events changed, the timer would detect this from the EPG.

-Ian

My Pace twin worked with the earlier extended EPG trials way back last year, it was just a little slow...

How slow?

Was it as slow as for the 'now and next' for each programme while looking at each programme for the next 7 days?

Skiddins

Sorry Skiddins but im not quite sure what you mean. Im probably missing the point, but my 'now and next' is always near instant. However, playing again with the EPG this morning, things were as follows on my early Pace Twin:

Entering the EPG, say with 3 or 4 programs per channel visible on each channel timeline, the screen could fill pretty much instantly, within a second I would say. Other times it may display, initially quickly as above. but with some slots missing which would fill in over the next few seconds.

However, as you scroll forward through the timeline, things seems to slow quite alot. Im not sure whether this is because the information has not yet recieved or whether the Pace Twin doesn't handle things so efficiently as you progress through the time slots. One things that I have noticed, and may be related, is that interactivity is greatly reduced - I seem to have to repeat remote button press, almost as if it is ignored. This somehow seems to be linked with a chunk of program timeslots being filled in so maybe the Pace can't recieve EPG data and handle EPG interaction simultaneously. If so, hopefully the next software update will make this better.

I've forgotten how to do it, but I was going to make up an alternate channel list without the TopUpTV and text channels to see if a reduced channel list would make interactive response better. If someone could remind me how to do this...

From the little that I have seen of the Sky EPG, I don't think its not on a par with it speedwise.

Is it usable? For programs over the next few hours - definately an improvement. But until shortcuts, skip 24 hours, skip start etc are implemented in the Pace EPG, and interactivite response made better, EPG information more than a few hours into the future can be a bit tedious to view.

AOD
You comment about your Pace not caching is interesting. Im not sure if you have noticed, but the EPG also goes back in time (at least few hours worth) so there are many 'orange' programs also listed. Not sure if expired EPG data is broadcast, or these are programs previously cached by the Twin.

If anyone knows, I would really like to know how frequent the EPG is broadcast and whether some channels or timeslots are broadcast more frequently.

-Ian

I have never found that the EPG is nearly instant, it would usually take about 10 seconds to do all the programmes on the screen.

It may be related to signal strength I suppose, I'm getting about 55%

Skiddins

Me to. I have to say that I resort to the newspaper to find ut whats on - it's THAT slow! I'd be intrested to know if its down to signal strength - i guess it must be. How do you find out the generic signal strength for my area? I live in the West Mids, Redditch.

How do you find out the generic signal strength for my area?

I was just refering to the signal strength indicated in the 'Signal Information' section of the Pace's main menu.

Skiddins

I have noticed tonight that some of the channels look as though they transmit at least a few hours ahead of schedule, i saw 11 hrs ahead, but ran out of time to investigate further.

Skiddins

I have a twin at home, get around slow loading by leaving it on EPG overnight. It's then pretty instant to load during the day.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom