1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

7.5 metre component cable needed - where to go?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by stormywhether, Aug 11, 2003.

1. stormywhether

stormywhether

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm fast learning that you never get stuff right first time in this home cinema game. I lost count of the number of bits I've replaced already, due to wrong lengths through shifting components around and so on!

The latest gaffe - moving the projector on to a wall-mount, and now realising my component cable is too short!

Anyone recommend a place selling not too shabby decent length component cable?

Also on a separate note - I got my Keene RGB to S-Video convertor last week to route Sky through to the projector (AE100). Impressed already, but the SCART lead from the digibox to the convertor is one of them rubbish gold plated Argos numbers.

Would it make a big difference getting, say, a Thor cable or something?

2. dragonfly

dragonfly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Stormywhether,
    I got my 10m tri-component cable from QED Qunex SRCV A bit pricey though, it cost me about £300.But what you get is quality.

3. stormywhether

stormywhether

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    crikey dragonfly - WAY out of my price range - by about an extra nought, to be precise!!!

The projector only cost me double that!

Thanks for your input though.

4. gothmog

gothmog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    £300! :confused:

Mere mortals prefer:

CPC

or

Unbeatable

These are 10m though not seen many 7.5m ones ;)

-- Jon

5. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,117
  6. Gadjet

Gadjet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi,

Just reading through this thread and seen the £300 price tag on the cable, wow. No offense dragonfly on you spending that amount , its your dosh.
    But as my title says can you really see that much difference in picture quality by paying that much more. Dont mean by having to look hard for a bit less quality in the background but by just sitting and seeing overall clarity. Not just for visual cables what about sound as well?eg, coaxil cables which can be so expensive.

Nice to hear your opinions,

Take care ,
    Phill

7. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    If you are not adverse to a small amount of soldering I would strongly suggest you buy the cable and connectors from http://www.vdctrading.co.uk

They sell top (broadcast) quality Van Damme cable and connectors. You can make to any length you require and you will be hard pressed to find better cable even at double the price. The items you will need will be

Red cable: 268-307
    Blue cable:268-309
    Green cable:268-308
    Phono connectors: 306-037

HTH

8. Pete Ear

Pete Ear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Van Damme cable is good quality low cost stuff. However it falls short in the shielding department and if you are running parallel to power cables or electrical conduit over several meters, then you would be better off with a dual foil/braid screened cable instead of the single braid screen of the Van Damme. Yes it is broadcast standard and widely used by the BBC etc., but some of us in the AV domain have more exacting standards ;).

9. Jack the lad

Jack the lad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    I have two 10m Van Damme component cables and can only sing there praises.:D

10. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Thanks Pete

I wonder if this was the cause of the vertical banding on my LPX all the time? Possible, as my 10m (Van Damme) component cable is routed through the ceiling where there are also lots of pwer cables.

I have no doubt at all that there is better cable out there but I still believe for the money Joe Public will be hard pressed to beat it. It's also gr8 stuff as it is very flexible which makes for easy handling too.

You may also like to add where one can buy the type of cable you are referring to :) Always good to have a positive to counteract the negative ;)

11. gwbailey

gwbailey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll second that...?

12. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    I recommend

www.intoav.com

for your cables.

Suppliers of cable to the BBC - so they are well used to making long run quality cabling:lesson:

Cap:smashin: