7.2 Receiver, Speaker, Sub Combinations

Mgd2312

Novice Member
Hi Guys -
New member here. I have a basement in the process of being finished. My budget will support a 7.2 configuration. Here are 3 combinations and your input / suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Working on a budget. Also looking at Polk RC85i and Pyle Home PIC8E.

Thoughts....
ComponentModelQty
ReceiverSony - 7.2-Ch. with Dolby Atmos 4K Ultra HD A/V Home Theater Receiver - Black
1​
CenterPolk Audio Signature Series S35 Center Channel Speaker
1​
Front L, RKlipsch PRO-250RPW LCR Reference
2​
Surround (2 Celiing, 2 Rear Wall)Klipsch CDT-5650-c2
4​
SubKlipsch Reference R-10SW 10" 300w Powered Subwoofer
2​

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
Without a budget its hard to help you.

We might be reccomending speakers 2-3x your budget.

Mgd2312

Novice Member
Good call - My budget is $2500 TV not included. All wiring is complete. I plan to buy an Atmos Receiver to upscale in the future. I'm not completely sold on 2 sub's, so I could sacrifice.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Hi Guys -
New member here. I have a basement in the process of being finished. My budget will support a 7.2 configuration. Here are 3 combinations and your input / suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Working on a budget. Also looking at Polk RC85i and Pyle Home PIC8E.

Thoughts....
ComponentModelQty
ReceiverSony - 7.2-Ch. with Dolby Atmos 4K Ultra HD A/V Home Theater Receiver - Black
1​
CenterPolk Audio Signature Series S35 Center Channel Speaker
1​
Front L, RKlipsch PRO-250RPW LCR Reference
2​
Surround (2 Celiing, 2 Rear Wall)Klipsch CDT-5650-c2
4​
SubKlipsch Reference R-10SW 10" 300w Powered Subwoofer
2​

If you go with those Klipsch in-wall speakers then you should ideally use third one as center channel, horizontally or if you are considering projection screen get acoustically transparent one so you can get the in wall speakers in same height and all three vertically upright! If you have tv then one of these models below with the first one sharing same drivers to in-wall model on your list. Don`t mix Polk and Klipsch as they won´t sound same.

Swap the Sony receiver to something from Denon or Yamaha. I think all Sonys are 2017 models so they miss certain features and have some limitations/bugs still. Denon X2600H, Yamaha RX-V685 or if you want the latest models with HDMI 2.1 (8K) for gaming with new consoles (PS5 & XBOX) then X2700H or Yamaha RX-V6A (available next month in US). Accesories4less has refurb units cheaper, but your dealer might give you better deal when you purchase speakers + receiver together!

Do yourself favour and buy just one good subwoofer at this point! That R-10SW is dirt cheap (200$) and has known amp failures. High port tuning and build quality what you can expect for the cost. The quality of bass, build quality and extension leaves lot to be desired. There is no need to match the subwoofer with speakers so you can pick freely one from dedicated manufacturer which gives you better bang for your money. If you can spend 450$ then Monoprice Monolith 10THX is your best bet! This will be night and day better than the Klipsch sub in every way! Only thing to hope would be that your room isn´t large open space as typically the US lounges are bit different sized than in UK/Europe. In such case smaller subwoofer is going to struggle more than larger.

Mgd2312

Novice Member
Appreciate your input Gasp3621 that's exactly what I was looking for from this forum. My theater room is 15 x 17 with 9' ceilings. Great suggestions. I'll post the final with pictures. Thanks again.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Appreciate your input Gasp3621 that's exactly what I was looking for from this forum. My theater room is 15 x 17 with 9' ceilings. Great suggestions. I'll post the final with pictures. Thanks again.
Hope you got some good installer who knows where to put those speakers as they are in-walls you can´t change the placement without making mess. So in short aim for 22-30 angle for the mains, center channel close to seated ear height, this is one of the most active speaker in your system so put big effort for it! Main speaker tweeters about seated ear height (you install them upright), surround speakers "rears" about seated ear height cause you have ceiling speakers so you want some separation between those two and spread them apart if you mount them on rear wall, check the angles. See the link below for optimal placement.

The latest video from AVForums

Are the TCL MiniLED TVs better than OLED? TCL Interview with Marek Maciejewski | AVForums Podcast
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom