• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

7.2.4 Atmos Ceiling placement

fastman

Novice Member
Hello all,

Finishing up basement with a 7.2.4 atmos setup. It's not a perfect layout of course but making it work as best as one can. One of the proposed rear ceiling speakers may have to be placed on an HVAC soffit, making it approx 13 inches lower than the other rear speaker. Would this height mismatch affect the sound to the point where it would be very noticeable? I could bring the speaker (both rears to make it even) closer to the MLP, this would take it out of the soffit but it crowds the MLP a little in my opinion. Long shot but would the AVR be able to correct for this so it would not be noticeable very much? Lastly, are the front LR speakers, in-line (front to back) with the overhead speakers? I think I read the overheads usually are 3 ft from sidewalls, is this basically true?
TIA

mb3195

Distinguished Member
Your avr should deal with this pretty easily, obviously not ideal but on an Atmos speaker I’d doubt you’d notice the difference to be honest.
And yes, line them up with your L and R fronts

gibbsy

As above. The receiver's EQ will compensate for the different position and adjust the levels accordingly.

soxfan111111

Novice Member
Not to hijack the thread but I have a very similar situation. I have air conditioning ductwork boxed in with drywall running the entire length of one side of my theater room where the wall meets the ceiling. The leftmost seating position is situated directly under this ductwork, so to install four ceiling speakers the two leftmost speakers would have to be installed to the right of the leftmost seat. See floorplan for illustration of where I would have to install the four ceiling speakers.

The question is, would this result in a significantly unpleasant or distracting listening experience for the leftmost seat, or would it only reduce the immersion effect somewhat?

Any guidance on this would be greatly appreciated - this question is basically the determining factor for whether I'm going to do this or not.

mb3195

Distinguished Member
Not to hijack the thread but I have a very similar situation. I have air conditioning ductwork boxed in with drywall running the entire length of one side of my theater room where the wall meets the ceiling. The leftmost seating position is situated directly under this ductwork, so to install four ceiling speakers the two leftmost speakers would have to be installed to the right of the leftmost seat. See floorplan for illustration of where I would have to install the four ceiling speakers.

The question is, would this result in a significantly unpleasant or distracting listening experience for the leftmost seat, or would it only reduce the immersion effect somewhat?

Any guidance on this would be greatly appreciated - this question is basically the determining factor for whether I'm going to do this or not.

it wouldn’t work for the left hand seat as all Atmos sounds would be coming from their right.

the human ear doesn’t deal with height sounds very well so wouldn’t be able to distinguish (very easily) the difference between the two sets of Atmos speakers.

The latest video from AVForums

#shorts SVS Prime Wireless Pro powered speakers - #review coming soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom