1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

7.1 Will this setup be OK?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Mark Ward, May 24, 2002.

1. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Here's my only option for a 7.1 setup so far as I can see.
    The images are not to scale. but they help picture the setup. All windows are floor to ceiling

www.wcarrot.demon.co.uk/me/sevenpointone.jpg
    www.wcarrot.demon.co.uk/me/fivepointone.jpg

I'm using TDM34DS's. All 4 surrounds would have to be wall mounted approx at 8ft (2.5m) to the top of the speaker, which is around 10 inches (25cm) from the ceiling. The Rears would be in the way when walking to another room if they were lower (radiator on wall behind main sofa doesn't help either).

The nearest point of the right SIDE surround will only be around 6-8 Inches (15-20cm) from the rear wall, but I could place the left side surround further forward. The sides are quite a way behind the viewing position and a too close to the rear wall.

I was going to wait until my new room to go 7.1, but my Lex on it's way is making me impatient.

Because of family considerations there really isn't any other positioning option if I want 7.1 in this room. Should I stick to 5.1 which sounds great at the moment? I'd really like to use Logic7.

Any input on this configuration please?

Cheers,

Mark.

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Hi Mark

To be honest, I´m not sure you´ll benefit from 7.1 as you really need a few feet behind you & to have the side surrounds either side of your listening position, the problem is going to be the right surround too near the rears (no depth).

It might be worth trying out just to see what its like, dont forget to reverse the Surround Back Dipoles (left for right, right for left) otherwise you´ll have cancellation problems.

As mentioned before, to really benefit from dipoles you need to have the null facing you, something which doesnt look like it will be possible for the side surrounds.

cheers

Jase

3. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hi Jase,

Yep! Pretty much as I was thinking. Trying it out really isn't an option as I'd have to buy some more speakers and screw them to the walls to see if it's acceptable. Also Lex recommend all direct firing. I'm a real Dipole fan myself! Oh Well, saves some money for now I guess. I'll just have to try harder to get in the big room.

Cheers,

Mark.