7.1 versus 5.1 on AV3801

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by dealmaker, Mar 15, 2001.

1. dealmaker

dealmaker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    xxx

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Firstly the 3801 will play dts 6.1 discreet through all 7 (or 6 if you use 1 surround back speaker) as in the set-up menu you tell the unit how many speakers you are using (the unit auto detects DTS ES Discreet)
    Secondly you select whether you want the 6.1 matrix (ex/es) on or off, you manually have to select this and so all 5.1 dvd's have the back surrounds outputting a matrixed signal The reason for this is although it can detect dts es matrix soundtracks it cannot detect THX EX tracks as it is not an official THX product so you simply leave it on. (personally i think it adds a great deal to ordinary 5.1 tracks anyway). However in answer to your question you can simply press a button on the fascia or remote that will turn on the back surrounds, if you have selected matrix decoding in the set-up menu not accessible via handset then the back surrounds will output a matrix signal if not then they will simply output the same as the rear surrounds. Turn the surround back speakers off and the unit reverts to standard AC3/DTS 5.1

Regards

SteveEX

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Firstly the 3801 will play dts 6.1 discreet through all 7 (or 6 if you use 1 surround back speaker) as in the set-up menu you tell the unit how many speakers you are using (the unit auto detects DTS ES Discreet)
    Secondly you select whether you want the 6.1 matrix (ex/es) on or off, you manually have to select this and so all 5.1 dvd's have the back surrounds outputting a matrixed signal The reason for this is although it can detect dts es matrix soundtracks it cannot detect THX EX tracks as it is not an official THX product so you simply leave it on. (personally i think it adds a great deal to ordinary 5.1 tracks anyway). However in answer to your question you can simply press a button on the fascia or remote that will turn on the back surrounds, if you have selected matrix decoding in the set-up menu not accessible via handset then the back surrounds will output a matrix signal if not then they will simply output the same as the rear surrounds. Turn the surround back speakers off and the unit reverts to standard AC3/DTS 5.1

Regards

SteveEX

4. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Your back speakers will be the ones recieving the new EX/ES Matrix/Discrete signals and the sides will be the speakers recieving the normal DD 5.1 surround signals. The sides will probably be used most as only in the last few months have EX/ES encoded discs been coming out and most of the surround information is probably destined for the side speakers anyway with the rears only coming into use for rear panning effects(from what I gather, I've only got a 5.1 system myself). So I suppose if thats the case then you should use your medium sized speakers for the sides and the small ones for the rears as these will get less use. (I also gather that the best surround speaker arrangement is to have the same model of speaker for both the backs and the sides but its not essential.)

Hope this helps.

------------------
    Don't be a don't be.......Be a do be!
    HomePage - http://gofree.indigo.ie/~deveney