• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question 7.1 v 5.1.2 and ceiling or atmos upfiring

Clond

Standard Member
Starting an extension with a new room size of 3.5m x 5.5m square for TV.
Currently happy with the old 3005se eggs and the ht2se and E2 subs.
Now I use the 2 series for 7.1 rears but with atmos now prevailing does it really become a game changer in listening?
So I am looking to go 5.1.2 if advice suggest it matters. I can put ceiling speakers in but is this another step up from uprising?
Would like to get people's view on this as the ceiling option means I would have to shroud it with a dif box as the kids will sleep above.
What would the gurus suggest?

gibbsy

I would take a 5.1.2 over 7.1 always. If using upfiring speakers then the front soundstage is greatly expanded upwards and the reflected audio from the ceiling performs well. Is it as good as correctly placed in ceiling speakers the answer to that is probably no.

I use two KEF R50s, have done for the last five years and in my room it works very well indeed. I get object based movement and great all round effects. I did actually experiment with old KEF 3005 Eggs on top of my R Serie speakers, didn't work because of their shape, but fun trying.

The current crop of upfiring modules, certainly the KEF Q50a and the Elac offerings come with keyhole fittings on the bottom so that they can also be used for Atmos duties high on the front wall. That gives you two options for good Atmos.

If you do know exactly where your seating is going to be in the new development then I would opt for ceiling speakers. Follow this guide as close as you possibly can.

Clond

Standard Member
Thanks for your input - my concern was if 2 atmos was enough to feel the difference over 7.1.
Your suggestion is it is.
Thanks for the guide - ceilings supposedly require fireblankets and fire rated cable if the building inspector is involved.
Sounds the way to go if it is a new room.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom