1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

7.1 speaker question.

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by jookster, Feb 11, 2005.

1. jookster

jookster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,

Is it ok to have the rear speakers higher than the side speakers in a 7.1 set up.

My chair is against the wall, and the only place I could have the rear speakers is on the window sill which is 18 inches above my speaker stands.

Would this throw the sound out hugely?

Cheers

2. AvAl

AvAl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Jookster,

Personally, I wouldn't have thought so. Depending on what amp you have, you can alter settings for both distance from the listening position, side and rear placement and high and low. If you measure the distance from your listening position accurately, I doubt you should have any problems and the amp will sort out the rest, though I believe a maximum of 6 feet above the listening position is preferable - 18 inches...nothing to worry about :)

3. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    It shouldnt be a problem, particularly if you are using bi/di-polar speakers as these create a non-unidirectional sound. If you are using mono-poles it will probably be slightly more noticable but the best thing to do is to try it out and see for yourself