1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

7.1 speaker placement

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by Dade, Nov 11, 2004.

1. Dade

Dade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys. Im jusrt about to begin work on me 'Home Cinema' and need some advice on speaker placement.

Im planning to get a Denon 7.1 Amp and hook up all the speakers. My room is 12 x 20 feet. The centre speaker is going to be just delow the plasma screen and the front left and right speakers are going to be either side at about the same height as the screen. The surround speakers are going to be placed high above two doors and the rear speakers are going to be about half way between the floor and the ceiling.

Firstly will the height differences of the surrounds matter? Also the Left Surround will be a bit further away from the listening position than the surround left. Will the amd be able to compensate for this?

Ive attached a sketch of the setup.

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    I don't have a Denon amp but I would guess that you can alter the speaker distances individually (you can on the Arcam AVR300 for example) to compensate for the distance from the listening position.

John

3. Jamiroquai78

Jamiroquai78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All the amps I have come across allow for volume compensation so distance shouldnt be a problem however ideally the surround/rear speakers should be at listening height wherever possible I believe.

Jam

4. hatcher

hatcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here's a good link for you to look at Dade;
    http://www.dolby.com/consumer/home_entertainment/roomlayout.html
    Most Denon's (if not all) have independant speaker volume controls. More importantly they have the ability to delay the signal to nearer speakers so that the sound from all speakers arrive simutaneously (no kidding, honest) giving a better sound stage. It's controlled by just dialing in the distance from your 'ideal' sitting position to each speaker. The setup menu should guide you through this.
    The rears will be fine high up (up to 3' above ear level when sitting), some people think it's better that way.
    Cheers,
    Hatcher

5. gwc

gwc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Is there a minimum/Maximum distance between rears for optimum performance.

Cheers

gwc