7.1 Speaker placement - in my new extension

Stumpywhu

Hi,
I know this is a question too frequently asked on here, but I don't want to get things wrong so would appreciate some advice.

Our new extension is nearly finished so I need to run speaker cable in before things progress too far. The room is 3.4m x 7.1m with the TV to be placed at one of the 'narrow' ends. All speakers are Quad wall mounts in order to prevent small fingers playing with Daddy's toys.

Centre location is obvious; just below the panel - my main conern is with placement of the front pair - I want the image to be as wide as possible, but am also aware that putting them too close to the corner of the room will create problems. Using the fact that the wall is 3.4m and the speakers are wall mounts could someone let me know how far apart they should be placed?

Surrounds will go next to the main sitting position, approx half way along the room - should these be as close as possible to ear height or can they be higher - considering the little person issue?

The rears will be placed as far apart on the wall as the front pair - should these be placed higher than the other 4 or at the same height?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

davepuma

Distinguished Member
This isn't an exact method but I would aim for 60 degrees from your central (main) listening position to your fronts. That would be a good place to start but don't be afraid to experiment with both the position and also the 'toeing' angle towards your listening position.

There are numerous guides around on the web. Clicky1 Clicky2

Your rears should be slightly above ear height. Your fronts should be at ear height. These are the basic rules that I have always followed.

Stumpywhu

Thanks for the reply, but I would have thought that the speakers could be 'toed in' to 60 degrees wherever they were placed on the wall (as long as it wasn't too narrow obviously).

The point I'm making is that if I put them, for example, 30cm away from the corners of the room, I could still achieve the 60 degrees mentioned, but would have problems with reflections from the corners?

I wondered if there was an ideal(ish) measurement they they should be placed apart which was also far away enough from the corners of the room to avoid problems?

Edit - using the 60 degree theory, the speakers should be placed as far apart as would create a triangle from the listening position?

Last edited:

Stumpywhu

Thanks for that, I'll measure it out later.
Depending on things not working out exactly - how far away from the corners do you think I should stay?

davepuma

Distinguished Member
You're mounting them on wall brackets so they're going to be close to walls. I presume these speakers are rear ported? My mate has Quad Ls and I'm pretty sure they are. The speakers will come with foam bungs to tame the bass. Ideally you wouldn't use rear ported speakers near walls/corners in the first place.

Stumpywhu

My mate has Quad Ls and I'm pretty sure they are. The speakers will come with foam bungs to tame the bass. Ideally you wouldn't use rear ported speakers near walls/corners in the first place.

Front and surrounds are 12L2s, rears are 11L2.
Not sure they came with bungs?

The latest video from AVForums

Are the TCL MiniLED TVs better than OLED? TCL Interview with Marek Maciejewski | AVForums Podcast
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom