7.1 speaker placemant

A

andyturner28

Hi there.

I have 2 sets of mission 77ds speakers and am thinking of doing a 7.1 set up in my 11foot by 9foot cinema room. What is the best placement for the rear speakers?
I was thinking of putting the left/right on the side wall just in front of the listening position (there is a door right alongside the settee) and the surround back's fairly close together on the back wall slightely higher than the left/right's.
Would this work or would i be better sticking with 5.1 and sell one set?

Any oppinions will be greately appreciated.

Cheers

Andy

mhuk05

Why not try it and see? The placement sounds about right for 7.1 - there used to be a picture on the mordaunt-short site but it seems to have gone.

A

andyturner28

Cheers for the links.

Do you think the side surrounds will sound allright being slightely ahead of the listening position though, thats the only bit i am worried about. I could move the sofa forward a few feet don't really want to get any closer to the screen as it is 82" in a 11foot long room. If i get much closer i will be able to see the pixel stucture and it is only 1024/576 resolution.

Cheers

Andy

E

EghamHomeCinema

Due to selling my house I had to rearrange the lounge (houseDr) and this ended up with the surrounds being **infront** of my chair.

It was rubbish! There was absolutly no forward back movement of sound.

A plane flying overhead simply went from 'in front' to . . . erm . . 'infront' - I didn't even get a feeling of it moving less or more 'in front'.

Like having stereo but putting both speakers on the same side.

I ended up sitting on the floor closer to the TV to get the surround feeling!

Surround speakers - NEVER IN FRONT OF THE LISTENING POSITION

Member 96948

Distinguished Member
EghamHomeCinema said:
Surround speakers - NEVER IN FRONT OF THE LISTENING POSITION
Mmm kay. I have my dipole Q2DS infront of my usual listening position (by about 2 feet), but they are 9" below the ceiling. The rear wall is still 6' behind me so the reflected sound from both poles is reflected in a satisfactory manner. The Audessey EQ of my amp may help with this, but room restrictions dictate placement and with my setup at least, there is no sense of effects panning from "the front to the front".

Mount them high, make them dipole and enjoy the difuse surround field in multiple listening positions this type of speaker can enable.

As for the '7'. 1 rears, I have just sold mine after much sole searching and experimentation. I had the choice of rears or bi-amping the fronts and in the end there was only one choice. A well set up 5.1 stuffs an average 7.1, period.

Russell

Knyght_byte

Novice Member
and a well setup 7.1 stuffs a 5.1.......

heh

especially with a 6.1 source....

zero7

Knyght_byte said:
and a well setup 7.1 stuffs a 5.1.......

heh

especially with a 6.1 source....

I went from 5.1 to 7.1, what a waste of time and money, not to mention ripping up the carpet to install extra cables, hardly ever heard any sound out of my rears.

When I get my new speakers, I will be going back to 5.1.

The Gooner

Novice Member
I have also tried the 6.1 route. my room is about 13 by 11 wide and I found 5.1 to be alot better. I had the rear ounted high behind seating and to surrounds about 2 foot above and alongside seating position.

I found I could hear a speaker distinctively and not sounds flying saround the room.

As described a plane going from rear to front didnt sound right, basically you heard sound from one speaker to the next.

I tried all settings on amp setting up with SPL but couldnt make much difference. I have now gone back to 5.1 and the reults are better, panning around the room is better and sounds float around raather than direction.

I believe in my case certainly the problem was the room size, the speakers were to close to the seating area and to close to each other. I much prefer my 5.1 setup now.

Best bet is to try it if you have the speakers no loss

zero7

It would be interesting to set a poll up to see how many people have actually benefited in the sound stakes by instlling an extra pair of speakers for rear sound. (sorry to hi-jack thread)

A

andyturner28

Luckily there is JUST enough space above the door to mount them about a foot behind the listening position and they sound fantastic.
I havn't had a chance to get some speaker cable for the rears yet but as all the rears are Mission 77ds bipoles it sould be a totaly diffuse sound and think it will sound ok.
I will hopefully get them wired up over the weekend.

Cheers

Andy

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom