1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

7.1 speaker package upgrade

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by xavier71, Jul 3, 2005.

1. xavier71

xavier71

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hi,

This is my first posting on this forum.
    I am actually in the process of getting planning permision for my loft to be converted into a dedicated home cinema and am looking at upgrading some of my kit at the same time.
    I have pretty much decided on replacing my pioneer 909 thx ultra 5.1 amp + pioneer 509 power amp (to drive the extra two rears) with the pioneer vsx ax 5ai-s thx select 7.1 model, but at the moment i am using budget entry level speakers that come in the shape of sony ss-lap305ed package with matching saw d100 sub, can anybody suggest or recomend a descent 7.1 package.

any help will be much appreciated.

Cheers!

Current equipment: pioneer 909 thx ultra 5.1 av receiver + 509 power amp
    sony ss-lap305ed speaker pack with sub
    pioneer 575 dvd player
    1.8m widescreen electric wall mounted screen
    toshiba mt100 dlp projector
    mosaic one4all remote
    xbox + ps2
    sky+

2. xavier71

xavier71

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    have been looking at the evo 3b 7.1 package but after reading some of the threads it doesnt sound like the sub that they come with is up to much, and i dont want to be having to upgrade again once i have splashed out.
    also been looking at the new mission m5 speaker package which has got some good reviews and look the part aswell, obviously i would be buying an extra 2 for the surround back.
    i am actually getting my loft converted to a dorma which will then become a dedicated home cinema with room size of about 17 foot by 10 foot, you can check out my website http://www.homecinema-world.co.uk for progrees and pics, at the moment theres not much on there cos work hasnt started yet but once it does i will be updating all the time.

any advise on a 7.1 package would be greatly appreciated.

3. scrowe

scrowe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +476
    I'm using the Pioneer Ax5ai with a 7.1 Canton speaker set. I imported it from Germany but there's now a powerbuy in this forum that gets you them just as cheap.

I use a CD50 centre
    4x Cd100 for stereo fronts and rears
    2x CD50 for mono rear-centres
    and an ASD250SC Subwoofer

The whole lot comes in at around the £1,000 mark, and these speakers are very well reviewed as worthy of double the price-point.

There are other configurations, but best to ask in the powerbuys thread. A lot of people start with the CD1 or CD222 to start and then add the extra speakers down the line.

4. xavier71

xavier71

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    been a while but am thinking about the mission m5 speaker system, got good ratings and i will have to buy an extra 2 for the surround backs to complete the 7.1 setup i will have,
    has anyone else looked at these speakers or even demo'd them anywhere, recomendations much appreciated, thanx.

5. Ettepet

Ettepet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Another option is a speaker package from AV123, :thumbsup:, although you might find it hard to find someone where you can listen to them beforehand.

Here a 5.1 package with RS550's that is on sale, where you can add another pair of (discounted) RS550's without too much hassle. Ask Sean or Greg (info@av123.com) for a price-quote and other advice. :)

These speakers are very good quality, both in workmanship (build quality) and in sound. You would have to pay at least twice the amount for similar performance here. I took the gamble and I'm extremely happy with what I got, price/performance-wise (ratio at least as good as with SVS, who now let their box subs be built by the same av123-factory in China ;)).

[​IMG]

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    Just to make sure that no-one gets the wrong idea, all SVS subs are built in USA although the av123 factory may possibly supply some of the wooden cabinets to SVS's design.

7. Ettepet

Ettepet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Ian, you're quite right. It is their beautiful wooden cabinets that come from the AV123 factory in China. End-assembly: combining cabinet, woofers and amps is done in the SVS factory in the U.S.A., as is testing and design. ;)