7.1 Sound query

Allyjoh

Standard Member
Hi all, I have just got a new Onkyo 606 amp and am very pleased with it.

I have the speakers set up for 7.1 but im a bit confused. All the Blue Ray discs I have, admiteddly not a large amount, all of them State Dolby HD / DTS HD master 5.1 none of them state 7.1, so Im presuming I am not getting true 7.1 at all or is the amp very very clever, can someone explain?

Im sourcing from a PS3 LPCM etc thru HDMI.

kit1cat

Unless there is an option on the amp to produce a 7.1 sound from a 5.1 HD input you are only getting 5.1 output.

On my amp I use DD + DD pro logic IIx to get a 7.1 output from a 5.1 or stereo input from dvd's etc, I don't know if this option is available for HD input but should be for non HD input.

D

Deleted member 244378

Hi all, I have just got a new Onkyo 606 amp and am very pleased with it.

I have the speakers set up for 7.1 but im a bit confused. All the Blue Ray discs I have, admiteddly not a large amount, all of them State Dolby HD / DTS HD master 5.1 none of them state 7.1, so Im presuming I am not getting true 7.1 at all or is the amp very very clever, can someone explain?

Im sourcing from a PS3 LPCM etc thru HDMI.

If you have 7.1 speakers connected then what will happen is that your amp will output dolby digital EX. It just means that it has changed the 5.1 format to 7.1 so you will hear sound from all speakers and does sound really good, but its not true 7.1, but a prity good alternative.

kit1cat

If you have 7.1 speakers connected then what will happen is that your amp will output dolby digital EX. It just means that it has changed the 5.1 format to 7.1 so you will hear sound from all speakers and does sound really good, but its not true 7.1, but a prity good alternative.

DDEX is another option, will give you mono sound in your back surround speakers. DD+Pro Logic IIx if avaiable will give stereo sound from your back speakers.

Details http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_11_1/feature-prologic-iix-3-2004.html

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom