7.1 setup information needed

motorsicko

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have a Sony KDL-52XBR4 LCD tv. I'm running a 40g PS3 via Monster HDMI, a Sony 5 CD/DVD carousel DVP-NC85H via Monster HDMI, and a Wii on the side inputs, I have HD cable run through Monster component cables to the tv. I have a Rocketfish optical cable out of the tv into my receiver. I did this so I could leave the receiver on the tv setting (not change it everytime I change a component). The receiver was a Sony STR-K7000 5.1 system (complete with 6 ohm speakers). I replaced the receiver with a Sony STR-DG720. It is a 7.1 receiver. I purchased two Sony SS-B1000 (8 ohm) for the two front speakers and moved the two bigger speakers from the original system to the surround back right and left. I left the two smaller speakers in the surround right and left. Monster speaker wire all around.

The tv is supposed to support 7.1 audio. The only audio outs on the tv are the analog red/white, DMeX, and digital optical.

Everything on the net points to optical cable only supporting a compressed 5.1 audio, although one reference stated a max of 6.1 audio. I talked to a manager at the local "BB" electronics store. He said the way I set it up would be fine and would support 7.1. I called Sony corp. and talked to someone in tv support, he said it should support 7.1 if the receiver is configured correctly.

For ease of operation and to keep from buying several 8' HDMI cords, I would prefer to leave the setup and wiring as is.

I have sound coming from all eight speakers, but I can't tell if it's 6.1 or 7.1 audio. I know that cable is only broadcast in 5.1, but I have several Blu-ray disks in 7.1. And, the receiver manual states it will "upconvert" 6.1 by something called surround back decoding.

Here's my questions:

I'm confused, does the digital optical cable support 5.1, 6.1, or 7.1?

Does the optical out on the back of the tv support 7.1 out like the manufacturer's rep said?

Is there an easier or better way to get to 7.1? Or, am I way off base with this setup?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
thanks,

Last edited:
First off the optical from your TV is stereo so all you are getting is puesdo surround (pretend surround).
You must run optical from your DVD and PS3 direct to the AV amp for 5-7.1.
Your TV will not pass through multi-channel.
If your AV amp does HD audio then the PS3 will need to connect via HDMI to your AV amp for multi-channel (Real not puesdo).
The WII will give a far better display using component connections. If you have more than one component connection then you will need to get the AV amp to switch it.

Your TV may support 5.1 output via optical for its own internal tuner (and if it is broadcast), but it will not pass 5.1 thru it for external inputs. As Andy says it will only produce stereo from these sources, you should really run a optical/coax cable from your sources to the amp for 5.1 sound, not thru the TV.

Also, if you want to save money on HDMI cables, stop buying monster ones, you get no improvement in picture with a expensive HDMI cable to a cheap one. As long as the cable works you will get a perfect picture. HDMI being digital either gives you a perfect picture or a obviously faulty one (sparklies, picture dropouts). There is no 'deeper blacks' or 'better contrast', between cables.

That's what I was afraid of. I just completed mounting the speakers and listened to several sources/formats. I was not impressed and was convinced that I was not getting the 7.1. So it's back to rewiring the system. I guess I will run everything through the amp and then one HDMI into the tv. Would that be better?

Thanks for the advice.

Last edited:
Thanks, I'm pretty new to all this. I plan on making a trip to the local ***Mart for more HDMI cables. I spotted some HDMI cables there that were affordable (about 1/2 that of monster) and the right length (8').
Does the signal degrade with length of HDMI cable? 8' is about as long as I need.

Are all HDMI cables shielded? Is that an issue?

Thanks for all the help.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom