1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

7.1 setup assistance

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by slyborg, Jul 2, 2003.

1. slyborg

slyborg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi,

Ok some info, my living room is approx 12 ft by 24ft and current seating position as follows:
    ----------------------
    |--------TV----------Door
    |---------------------|
    |---------------------|
    |--------ME---------|
    ----------------------
    (had to use dashes to preserve spacing!)

The left wall is one big set of sliding patio doors.

Hopefully you get the idea ;-) Anyway having just got a plasma I'm upgrading and looking at a 2011 Pioneer amp. I'm looking at getting some B&W speakers. Would the VM1+AS1 range be sufficient for this size of room?

Now if I go 7.1 then I'd have to have the left and right speakers roughly at ceiling level (pointing downward I guess)

So a question for all you audiophiles, if the centre speaker will sit roughly 1-2 ft high under the plasma and the left and right surrounds approx 12ft up angled down, how best should I configure the rear and front speakers, should I put them both at roughly ear level (say 4ft or so).

Alternatively am I stuffed with having to put the left and right up so high? I could in theory I guess have them on stands the only problem is there is a radiator slap bank in the middle of the right hand wall which is one of the reasons I have the room oriented as I do (believe me been tempted to get a plumber round to move it!!) Obviously having to sit pretty much with my back to the wall probably doesn't help for the full surround experience and I'm hoping the 2011 will be able to do a better balancing job than my current amp.

Thanks for any advice.

Si