1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

7.1 Set up

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by keelby1, May 30, 2003.

1. keelby1

keelby1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I am at present running a Yamaha 5540 with Keff eggs. I am looking at upgrading the amp, possibly to a Denon 3803 and getting some 'proper' stereo speakers.
    Would it be possible to set the speakers so, when in Movie mode I use the stereo speakers instead of a front, with the keff's, which are positioned at the top corner of each room, for effects. I could then use my extra egg for centre rear surround.
    I know it sounds complicated, but unfortunately I'm only 'allowed' so many speakers in our living room!

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +932
    If you are limited to a certain number of speakers then why not just replace the Front Left & Right Kef Eggs with the new speakers (ideally you would have a Centre speaker to match these as well). Then move those Kef Eggs (or single Egg) to the Surround Back (Rear Centre).

That way, you'll have the benefit of the new speakers for both music and movies. The only potential weak spot would be the remaining Kef Egg as the Centre speaker which you could upgrade in the future.

3. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    I'm not 100% sure what you're describing ... but it's best not to try to have 2 pairs of left and right speakers ...

Can you get away with (or in other words ... will you be allowed) having a set of 3 front speakers ... somthing like the Quad 11L, KEF Q1 or B&W 602 for the left and right (my preferance would be for the B&Ws, but they are large and the Quad and KEFs would be friendlier on the eyes) with a matching centre ... then using 3/4 of your existing Eggs for the 3/4 surround speakers? At a push you could use the 5th of your existing eggs instead of the matching centre but thats not ideal.

A couple of other alternative would be to try adding 2 of the MkII eggs for the fronts, or upgrading your front 3 Eggs to Gallio Balls (which are reguarded by many in the forum to be a step up from the Eggs and similar, but are still small and discrete).

Vikki

Edit: Looks like Jase just beat me to the punchline...

4. keelby1

keelby1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    The problem I have, is I'm not at all happy with the stereo performance of the eggs. Because they are so descreet, I will be able to get away with another set of 'proper' speakers for stereo. I just wandered if I could bridge the proper speakers. ie have two centre speakers in mono obviously and stil use the keffs for effects.

Since I've just been given the green light for a projector this would save me hoofing a centre speaker arround when i switch from tv to projector

5. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    I assume when you say "use the Kefs for effects" you mean for the rear channels?

In your situation ... I would ... buy a pair of good speakers for stereo ... not sure what your budget is ... but look at the usual suspects and choose the one that suits your tastes best after listening. Then use you existing 5 eggs for left and right rears, centre back (x2 if you want) and use the 5th one for the front centre (which you can leave celing mounted if you need to). Using the last remain egg for the centre will inevitably be a compromise ... but its that or move your centre ... or arrange your room so you don't have to move it would be best.

Vikki

6. neilos70

neilos70

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    i use my b&w 602`s as front l&r and find the sound is a1....

hope this helps

7. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Kelby try and get a demo of couple of speakers, not just B&W 601's (W3O sound like PA speakers) I know, I own a pair.

You can use the SP2 outputs from the Denon and flip over when watching DVD's or stereo direct mode.

Don't buy another pair of small sats ie Gallo Micros, as this will sound lacking in the low end. A pair of decent £200+ standmounts will be much better than the Kef Egg & Sub combo.

8. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    Nathan ... unfortunately the A/B speakers switch for the Denon 3803 (IIRC) is for 2 pairs of surround speakers not front speakers.

9. keelby1

keelby1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I reckon the £200+ standmounts sounds like the easiest option, keeping the egg as a centre, and moving it from under the tv, to under the projector screen as and when. As long as there's not cables all over the place etc etc.........!