1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

7.1 receiver 5.1 system compatibility

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by ndnchico, Jul 11, 2004.

1. ndnchico

ndnchico

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was going to buy the yamaha htr-5760 receiver (7.1) for my bose (5.1) system. I wanted this receiver mainly because of some of the features that it has to offer. Would I have the optimal sound with my 5.1 system or would it be better for me to look for a 5.1 or 6.1 receiver? I wasnt sure if I would have some 'lost sound' by not using 2 of the channels.

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,392
    AFAIK all 7.1 receivers will have an option in the setup menu to select it to have 5/6/7.1 speakers connected to it. Therefore I see no reason for loosing any sound quality by getting your choice of receiver and only useing a 5.1 speaker system.

Mark.

3. ndnchico

ndnchico

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

4. jamesl01

jamesl01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Not sure about the Yamaha but on my Denon 38-5 the other two channels can be used to feed speakers in another zone. I run 5.1 in the lounge and use the other channels in the kitchen. As has been mentioned there is no loss in sound quality, it's just two channels not in use.

James