1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

7.1 rear speakers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Majik, Oct 21, 2003.

1. Majik

Majik
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    In readiness for 7.1, I am thinking of mounting my two spare Boston Micros behind the sofa. Simply put, the sofa is against the wall at the moment, but I'll drag it a foot away from it - is this still worth putting the speakers there, or do I just need to realise that I'm stuck with 5.1 in my tiny front room?

Majik

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    It looks like you have a similar problem to me and I haven't bothered. I was advised that in ceiling speakers may work but anything else would be too close

3. Majik

Majik
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hmmm....the strange alternative is to mount them on the ceiling, pointing downwards. Waddayareckon?

Majik

4. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Tiny room = no need for 7.1

5. Majik

Majik
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm unfortunately coming to that decision. It's a shame, but thems the breaks with a flat my size. Question now is whether I sell my spare pair of Boston Micros (90x) and treat myself to some dvds or not - either that, or there's always NXT's for the rear channels -I wonder how bad flatpanels would sound for the rear effects?

Majik

6. JUS

JUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +211
    Sound agdvice from everyone. Although if it were me I would want to give it a go and see what it sounds like anyway. Just to see what it sounds like. Even if I have no intention of keep the extra 2 speakers...that's what I'm going to do when my 7.1 processor arrives :D

Maybe 6.1 would be better?

Jus.

7. Majik

Majik
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Also true - and exactly what I'm doing! Got a wanted ad for loudpanels on the classifieds (don't want to pay 100 quid for testing speakers...). Plus I may mount the extra Bostons anyway to try them out too - think they'll be abit ugly though. Ho hum..

Now just gotta get someone to sell me their old (and mostly unwauted) PSW2000 for that extra bass kick....

Majik

8. PhilCTTE

PhilCTTE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    I've heard that putting the speakers behind on the floor and firing upwards, perhaps even towards the wall may produce a non localised rear effect. Then mount the other two level to the listening position either side slightly above the listening position. There are also some nifty M&K column surrounds which are tripole which can be located rightup to the sofa, I've heard good things about these, but they are pricey at 1200 quid !!!

I've also a speaker positioning problem which I've got to sort out when I move into my new house. I'm sitting across (12 foot) against the back wall in a 17 * 12 sized room. With the plasma above the fireplace. I will probably try an inwall dipole from either B&W or Snell and maybe the same to side. Unfortunatley the sides might have to be placed slightly forward.... I'll let you know after I've experimented with all these different speaker types over the next month.

9. Majik

Majik
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hmmm - behind on the floor never occurred to me. Very good WAF factor too (Well, Fiance AF for me :) ).

I would appreciate being kept updated, and I'll do the same! Seems such a shame for me to have seven perfectly matched, and bloody lovely speakers that I can't use to their full extent really...

Majik