7.1 rear speakers, which ones?

Alcopoppa

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently purchased some 5.1 KEF T101 speakers and installed them. However I stupidly didn't do any research on speaker position and got the side/rear speakers in the wrong place completely - they are behind me rather than at the side and too high, so I don't get the surround effect. Unfortunately I can't get the trunking I used off the wall without ripping off half the wall with it, so have to keep them there. I was therefore thinking of buying some fairly cheap speakers to use as the read speakers in a 7.1 setup, and moving the KEFT101s to the correct side position (and having the cheaper speakers as the rear ones where the KEFs currently are)

So, I am wondering if anyone has any recommendation for some fairly small, fairly flat (if possible) speakers that I could wall mount and use as the rear ones? I don't want to spend £300 plus on another pair of KEFs; my budget is max £150 but would prefer to keep it at £100 or below if possible.

Thanks in advance.

Personally I would not buy cheap rear speakers since your system is only as good as the weakest point. Having mismatched rears is not going to give a good rear soundstage. Why not just move the Kefs to the side for now and then see how that sounds? I had my surround speakers in my last house behind me and got a very good surround sound effect. How much space do you have to the rear of your seated location?

Hi thanks for replying. I could move the kefs to the side but I can't move the trunking so it would look a little strange. There is not much room at all behind the chair, less than 1 foot. They are also too high so I guess that reduces the effect as well.

You do not really have the space for 7. 1 to be honest. If they do not sound good in current location then putting cheaper speakers there is not going to help. Just position your current speakers better and live with the trunking. Or remove and repair any damage as it is not that difficult to do.

If they're 1' behind you, then I wouldn't recommend monopoles, go for bipoles.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom