7.1 question

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by jwlawler, Jan 31, 2009.

1. jwlawler

jwlawler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Set up: Panasonic BD35, Toshiba EP35, Onkyo 605, permanent 5.1 set-up, and occasional temporary 7.1 when I borrow some speakers from another room and move the furniture about.

I have used the 7.1 set-up a few times but only in PLIIx mode since I don't yet have any 7.1 discs. I bought Pan's Labyrinth on HD DVD but I was disappointed to find that the UK edition was only 5.1.

Now that I have the BD35, I am hoping to get some 7.1 BDs from LoveFilm. I have ordered a few that I know are 7.1 but they have not come yet. My first BD from LoveFilm has come but it is Die Hard 4.0. The menu on the disc describes the soundtrack as DTS HD MA 5.1. If the player is set to bitstream then the Onkyo says DTS HD MSTR 5.1 but if I set the player to PCM then the Onkyo says PCM 7.1. This is the first time that I have seen that. Is it worth setting up the extra speakers or are the extra 2 channels likely to be just silent?

Suggestions on good 7.1 BDs to request from LoveFilm will also be welcome.

2. kingfats

kingfats
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,001
    I'm sure they stay silent with Die Hard 4.0.
    All the best.

3. willharris10

willharris10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Why do the UK receive less 7.1 material than the States does? Am I right to hold this assumption?

4. cholmaavf

cholmaavf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hellboy II

EDIT: Oh, and Dark City.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2009
  5. jwlawler

jwlawler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Is it that the player always outputs a 7.1 PCM signal when it decodes a DTS HD MA track? So, if the track is not really 7.1 then the extra 2 channels will be silent? A bit odd, since when using bitstrea and the amp decodes, it manages to figure out that it is a 5.1 signal. Could be important if I have the 7.1 set-up and I want to use the 5.1 to 7.1 extension modes. I guess that the amp won't do this if the input is declared to be 7.1 already.