1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

7.1 question

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by newbie265, Oct 8, 2004.

1. newbie265

newbie265

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Do 6.1 and 7.1 make a huge difence to film compared to 5.1.I am purchsaing denon 3805,3910 m-audio s6 or s8s ,silver centre with 2 or poss 4 sfx surrounds.My settee is against the wall so they would be immediately behind me.Are there many 6.1 ,7.1 films?

2. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi newbie,

It does depend, I do have a 7.1 setup but most of the time i listen in 5.1 as i prefer the sound that way but when watching good action or Sci Fi films eg Star Wars on Aliens Films i prefer to listen in 7.1 it just seems to give greater depth to the rear soundstage.
    If speakers are placed directly behind your head or seating posititon you just need to set the delays correctly and also the levels will need to be probably alot lower to give good intergration or else they could make themselves known more than you would like.
    The best way is that if you have a good dealer buy them and try it at home for yourself and see if you like the results and if not take them back and stick with 5.1.

John :)

3. mike_cummi

mike_cummi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There has been lots of chatter about 7.1 on this forum so if you do a search on 7.1 you'll undoubtedly find some useful info.

6.7/7.1 does make a difference over 5.1 but if your settee is right up against the wall it's gonna be a bit tricky for you to realise it's potential and may not be worth the extra dosh, may be better to stick to 5.1 - alot of people say 5.1 done well is better than 6/7.1 done badly. I wouldn't go for 2 sets of sfx, you'll just have one massive ambient sound field at the back, put sfx to the side and monopoles (ceiling mounted firng down if possible) at the back for the 6th/7th channel. I never bothered with 6.1 and just went straight for 7.1 so can't tell you how they compare with eachother but they are a definite improvement over 5.1 if you are able to set them up correctly.

To answer your question about films, the current state of play is that there are no 7.1 films - and 7.1 is really a misnomer, all it is, is 6.1 with 2 speakers at the back instead of one, as the signal going to both is the same they only count as one channel, that's why DPL is a 4.1 system and not a 5.1 system. Anyway, 6.1 films are becoming increasingly common but I believe your receiver has a matrix option so you can get "matrixed" 6.1/7.1 from a 5.1 DVD. Not as good as true 6.1 but still pretty good.

So there is no real difference between 6.1 and 7.1, other than the number of speakers, the extra speaker just gives a bit more oomph and definition at the back. As the surround back channels are the same you could power a pair of speakers off the 6th speaker terminal of a 6.1 receiver as long as it is powerful enough.

Hope this helps.