1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

7.1 or biamp, biamp useful within one receiver? (ie pioneer 2011)

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Calle, Aug 7, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Calle

Calle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I'm about to purchase a Pioneer 2011 (or maybe 2012 when it arrives). I was going to use the the possibility to use two of the 7.1 channels to biamplify the front channels instead of cluttering my living room with speakers, since biamping is a Good Thing.

However, down at the local non-pioneer shop, they told me that biamping this way would be pointless and maybe even a Bad Thing - yes, there are two extra amplifiers BUT the power source (transformer?) is the same, meaning that the total amount of available current would be the same if I biamp or not, which would mean that there is nothing to gain.

So now I don't know what to do with my spare channels. :) Bribe my gf to accept another pair of speakers or biamp anyway? Is he correct in his theory or what is your opinion?

BTW, I have B&W CM2 as front speakers, and I really like to have as good sound in pure stereo as possible.

Rgds,
    Calle

2. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I am not familiar with the mentioned model but most AV amps/receivers, in particular budget models, have limitations in their power handling. E.g. 5x 100Watt does not mean 5x 100Watt simultaeneously. This is due to the power supply (which includes the transformer) since it's capabilities are usually limited because of size and cost. Each individual channel can handle max. 100Watt, but not all at the same time (rather 2x 100 Watt + 3x 45Watt or 5x 65Watt or something like that).
    But remember that in normal use only a handfull of Watt are needed to reach normal volume levels in an average sized room, not the max. power/Wattage.

Therefore you might not benefit from bi-amping in terms of power handling though it might give you an advantage by separating the high and low frequency paths - something you would need to try out however to really know.
    If it doesn't bring any benefit you can still buy the additional speakers ... :)

3. Calle

Calle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, thanks. This particular model is above-budget at $1400 so one would expect it to have somewhat more honest muscle. But as you say, the specified power (7x100W 8 ohm in this case) is probably not with all channels driven.

Is there anybody out there who has actully tested this biamping facility on the 2011? Compared to biwiring or nothing at all?

What I would really love is for manufacturers to state more proper ratings, at least for more expensive models. Magazines etc will sooner or later print these anyway, why not do it from the beginning? NAD and H/K are very good at this.. not that I need 7x100W but I might need the amperes to get full control over my speakers.

4. avdesigns

avdesigns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I run my 2011 in bi-amp configureation and in my opinion it tightens the sound up i.e. the bass and treble are more focused.

5. Calle

Calle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, great!
    Have you tested if you can notice any difference when using biwiring instead of biamping? Ie, is it the separation of frequencies that gives the better sound or is it actually the addition of another amplifier (even if it has the same power supply)?

6. avdesigns

avdesigns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I did try it just bi-wired at first, and there is still a noticable difference to my ears.

7. Dave777

Dave777

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Sorry yo hijack the thread, but can the Denon 3803 be bi-amped like this. I would love to hear if anyone has done it.

Cheers

Dave

8. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I do not think bi-amping would cause an issue the way it was described to you by the shop simply because two of your channels (the ones connected to the tweeters) will be drawing next to no current you will get the benefits described by avdesigns by separating the channels it may not be as good as having dedicated power amplifier but you will not be driving any centre rears so you should be better than you would have been in 7.1.

9. Chris Gilbert

Chris Gilbert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    If it's any help in the specs section of my 2011 manual it says that the Power Consumption is 600W, but it also lists a bunch of other things to do with power under the amplifier section, if your really interested I can list them.

Note that when you use Bi-Amping the instructions say that you connect the surround back L+R to the hi inputs of the Front L+R, so I guess (as someone else said) that it won't draw huge amounts of power.

Chris