7.1 or 5.1 and a pair for stereo?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Speakers' started by Epoman, Dec 18, 2006.

1. Epoman

Epoman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    My amp does 7.1. I have 6 M&K in wall speakers and don't intend to get another one just to get 7.1.

How about I stick with 5.1 and use the remaining 2 channels to power a seperate set of front speakers for stereo use? Does this sound like a good idea? Is it even possible?

2. Member 96948

Member 96948
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,253
    It is possible if you can set those two spare channels to 'Zone 2', like you were running a pair of speakers in another room.

That is dependant on the AVP 700 being able to drive two zones concurrently.

Russell

3. stevos

stevos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +595
    I assume you want to have both sets of speakers in a single room.

Surely there would be no need for the amp to drive two zones concurrently after all you would only be listening to music or dvd not both (if you did listen to both it would sound a bit strange).

4. Epoman

Epoman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    I was thinking of a pair of decent floorstanders for music, not to be run at the same time as the cinema speakers, as I'm not sure how good the M&K's are with music.

5. stevos

stevos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +595
    I have to admit never hearing m&k speakers but they look to be designed for AV purposes and so i suspect they aren't so good for stereo listening.

However surely if you are happy then that is all that matters. If not then what is your budget, what type of music do you listen to and how large is your room?

6. Epoman

Epoman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    I think you're right, thats why I'm thinking of a seperate dedicated stereo pair.

Don't really have a budget yet. I'm in the middle of my av install and really just want to know what cables to run, i.e whether to run the extra 2 channels for the stereo front or for the 7.1 rears.

7. stevos

stevos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +595
    I assume you plan to hide the cables under floorboards/carpets/etc.

If you can afford the extra cabling it might be worth considering doing two runs just in case you change your mind in the future. It might also be worth considering laying a vga cable to the rears as well in case you buy a projector in the future since vga can carry most types of signal (rgb, component, composite, s-video) without too much loss in signal.

8. stevos

stevos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +595
    Actually scrap the last bit as i have just noticed you already have a projector.

9. Epoman

Epoman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    All cabling is being hidden behind the walls.

I think you're right that the safest thing to do is run cables for both so that I have the flexibility in the future. I still have enough cable left over to do this.

10. Cheekster

Cheekster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +195
    I purchased a full 7.1 Kef Reference THX Ultra speaker package a few months back. Have yet to connect them all up. But I've decided against a 7.1 set-up in favour of a 6.1 instead. Have now purchased a second Kef TDM23C for use as the rear centre in place of one set of TDM34DS surrounds. Will just have one set of those on the side walls now. Pretty sure the rear channel information on movies with a 6.1 track was designed for a single rear centre speaker. Though I could be wrong?

My reasoning is quite simply there is no material (laser disc/dvd/hd-dvd) available, that I'm aware of, with a 7.1 audio track. It's either 5.1 or 6.1 so what's the point?

Have yet to work out why amps have a 7.1 mode. :rolleyes:

Cheekster.

11. Epoman

Epoman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Yep, I've decided pretty much the same. I've just completed the wiring for 6.1 and a stereo pair. I will run 6.1 unless and until I get a stereo pair for the front when I will stop using the rear centre and AV will revert to 5.1.

I just couldn't see that 7.1 was justified given the lack of available material.

12. bk0903

bk0903

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    epoman, there might be a way of running a pair of stereo speakers with a 6.1 setup on the 7.1 amp. sounds weird...i know! but if your interested in doing this, heres what im thinking..

if you connect the stereo pair and the front pair via a speaker switch, the front channels on the amp would drive both pairs (at different times). once 2 channel stereo is selected on the amp, only the fronts are used.

the down side is you'd have to flick a switch everytime you wanted to switch between music and movies! unless you can get hold of a remote controlled switch:rolleyes:

i've just googled up a link as to the kind of thing im talking about

http://www.aqsound.com/store/en/search/?q=qed+2+way+speaker+switch&btn=Search

im guessing you'd need one of the 2 way boxes, most probably the parallel box.

also, with the 6.1 v 7.1, i've never seen any material with 7.1 audio, yet i have 7.1. the reason is i havent got much space directly behind the main seat in the lounge to place a speaker, if i put it at ear height, it will be very very close to my ears and if i put it above ear height, as theres not alot of space behind the sofa i probably wouldn't hear it.
    so, i got two speakers and two tallish dvd racks (temporary, until i have more cash), and put them on sides of the sofa flush against the back wall and placed the speakers on top facing slightly inwards and i think it works quite well, as the 6th channel audio is split between the two speakers.