Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

7.1 module technical question.

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by Bvan, Aug 4, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Bvan

Bvan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would like to use the A85's amps to drive the rear speakers and buy a more powerfull power amp to drive the front speakers.

I was told after posting somewhere else that this could be done by simply routing the DVD players front channel outs to the A85's rear channel in, and connecting the front speakers to the A85's rear channel outs.

This would require me to keep it in multichannel mode when playing stereo cd i think(i havent taken delivery of the unit yet so I'm unfamiliar with it).

What I'm wondering is: is there any downside to this arrangement? maybe the quality of the rear channnel circuitry and opps is not on par with the front two channels? any other possible downsides to this setup?

Thanks

Bvan

2. steeled

steeled

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Hi Bvan

I have an A90 but I think it is very similar to the A85. There is a switch on the back which separates the pre-amp section from the power amp section.

You could put this in "separate" mode. Then route the front Pre- outs to your new power amp. Then route the rear left/right outs from the 7.1 module to the
    Pwr In sockets on the A85.

I am away this weekend so can not try this out for you. I could give it a go next week if you want.

Hope this helps

Dave

3. Bvan

Bvan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks, good idea.

i'll try it when amp arrives next week. cant see any downside to that.

b