7.1 help with devices please

longtings

Novice Member
Hey guys I have a new surround system (to me) and am a bit lost.

Before I bought the sound bar I had the following set up

LG oled 55 B8 slc. With 4x hdmi ports

Sky q with 1x hdmi port and 1x optical

Xbox 1x with hdmi in and out

Apple TV

Old Xbox v1 using av to hdmi cable only plug in when using

And chromecast 4k

Currently everything was straight to the tv
The sky and Xbox were not linked.

Now I’ve bought a Samsung hth 7750wm 7.1 sound bar with vacuum tube sound ( not sure but looks pretty)

After getting massively annoyed by the centre speaker mount ive now come to connect the cables and run into an issue.

I want to watch the Apple TV and the sky box and the Xbox gaming all with 7.1 if possible.
Dont know if the Apple TV supports this.

There are only two hdmi inputs and 1x hdmi output in the sound bar and an optical in.
The tv has hdmi 3 listed as arc

I’ve connected so far the hdmi out to the tv from the sound bar
And the sky is currently in the sound bar
I though I’d leave the Xbox directly to the tv and get sound through the arc if that’s even possible (sound coming from tv now)
That leaves the Apple TV direct to the LG tv

Is this right?
Can I avoid having the sky connected to the Xbox so I don’t have to have it turned on to watch tv?

I’m so confused right now…
In my mind I thought the arc cable would be the only one going from the tv to the sound bar but that’s obviously way incorrect

longtings

Novice Member
also I don’t have enough hdmi cables and have ordered a digital optical cable.
Would be happy to work out what’s the best way to use the digital optical cable to replace a hdmi or two if necessary but want the best setup for the surround sound….
The tv is 4K if that helps the sky subscription is not 4K
The Xbox is 4K so is the chrome cast and the Apple tv
The tv has native Netflix which I use and Amazon prime and I want these to go through the sound bar also, would be nice to not have to use the sound bar remote but may have to as it’s not E-arc? Hope this is enough info

longtings

Novice Member
Screenshot_20211004-010029_Chrome.jpg

longtings

Novice Member
also I don’t have enough hdmi cables and have ordered a digital optical cable.
Would be happy to work out what’s the best way to use the digital optical cable to replace a hdmi or two if necessary but want the best setup for the surround sound….
The tv is 4K if that helps the sky subscription is not 4K
The Xbox is 4K so is the chrome cast and the Apple tv
The tv has native Netflix which I use and Amazon prime and I want these to go through the sound bar also, would be nice to not have to use the sound bar remote but may have to as it’s not E-arc? Hope this is enough info
The ARC is not working, have tried with only the arc HDMI cable and not getting sound through the receiver. Cant see why?
Have ordered a toslink switch so I can run the 4x optical cables from the Xbox and sky box and TV, hoping the Chromecast and Apple TV will route the sound through the optical cable through the switch and into the receiver that way.
Cant see why the arc is not working.

Xbox had surround when connected to the receiver via HDMI but then lost the 4k as the receiver doesn't support 4k pass through.
Sky wouldn't work when connected to the receiver have ordered new cables but getting frustrated now

next010

Distinguished Member
The HT-H7750WM does not support Dolby Digital Plus Atmos so your TV via HDMI-ARC can do following formats;
PCM 2.0 (stereo)
Dolby 5.1
DTS 5.1

As to your devices the best they can do is;
Sky-Q - Dolby 5.1 (HDMI-ARC)
Apple TV - Dolby 5.1 (HDMI-ARC)
Apple TV - PCM 7.1 (HDMI-pass-through)
Chromecast 4k - Dolby Digital 5.1 (HDMI-ARC)
Xbox One X - Dolby/DTS 5.1 (HDMI-ARC)
Xbox One X - PCM 7.1 (HDMI pass-through)
OG Xbox - Dolby 5.1 (optical via MS HD pack cable)

Given your ATV and Xbox will lose 4K HDR support its not so ideal to use them with HDMI input on the soundbar.

Xbox can have audio lag issues with ARC Dolby & DTS if noticeable it may be best to keep it on PCM 2.0 for audio sync.

HDMI-ARC on LG WebOS must be configured
HDMI audio input = bitstream
Digital sound output = auto
HDMI-ARC selected as speakers.
LG Simplink = Enabled

When using HDMI-ARC your soundbar should be on the input called TV or ARC (whatever Samsung designate as ARC input). If the TV is having trouble with the soundbar run the universal remote setup in the input manager screen, this will tell it a Samsung soundbar is on HDMI2.

longtings

Novice Member
Thank you so much!
I have followed the instructions on the input manager screen and.
This is where I've got to so far....
Spdif optical switch connected with 2 x inputs and 1x output (2x spare inputs)
inputs are 1. TV 2. Xbox 1x
Then I connected the sky box into the hdmi 1 port on the soundbar
Now using the remote for the optical switch I can switch from TV to Xbox and TV works with Apple TV and Chromecast also. (Not sure of the format or if it's 5.1 but still, happy (ish) days...

However although the lg TV recognised the model number of the soundbar and says simplink enabled and TV is set to hdmi arc no sound output from the hdmi comes from the AV equipment :(

Now I'm thinking what can't be working?
I've tried 3 different hdmi cables but I get a picture on the TV from the AV (blu-ray to show me the video works but no sound still...
Samsung blu-ray player is set to d. In.
TV is set to Hdmi ARC
I don't know why th TV arc isn't working

Maybe my surround system just hates me

next010

Distinguished Member
Thank you so much!
I have followed the instructions on the input manager screen and.
This is where I've got to so far....
Spdif optical switch connected with 2 x inputs and 1x output (2x spare inputs)
inputs are 1. TV 2. Xbox 1x
Then I connected the sky box into the hdmi 1 port on the soundbar
Now using the remote for the optical switch I can switch from TV to Xbox and TV works with Apple TV and Chromecast also. (Not sure of the format or if it's 5.1 but still, happy (ish) days...

However although the lg TV recognised the model number of the soundbar and says simplink enabled and TV is set to hdmi arc no sound output from the hdmi comes from the AV equipment :(

Now I'm thinking what can't be working?
I've tried 3 different hdmi cables but I get a picture on the TV from the AV (blu-ray to show me the video works but no sound still...
Samsung blu-ray player is set to d. In.
TV is set to Hdmi ARC
I don't know why th TV arc isn't working

Maybe my surround system just hates me

Try a factory reset of the soundbar, whoever owned it prior may have change some internal setting on it.

There is a possibility the ARC connection is faulty on the soundbar in which case the optical is the way to go, you could disconnect the soundbar from the ARC connection and see if the LG Magic Remote can still control it power on/off etc.

Optical supports same formats as ARC so no difference, some devices will have to manually be set to Dolby 5.1, you change AppleTV from Auto to Dolby 5.1, Xbox bitstream Dolby/DTS etc.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom