7.1 Height Speaker placement

paulbrannan

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have just bought a new av receiver which supports DTS:X and also upgraded my front speakers, meaning I have two extra speakers left over. I was thinking of using these to create a 7.1 system. I would rather not have front height speakers as they cabling would be more apparent. If I had them in the rear this could be hidden somewhat in the corners. Unfortunately my sofa is right at the back of the wall so I cant really have rear speaker, more side speakers - see pics. These could be moved somewhat to accommodate 2 more speakers, but which arrangement would work best?

Thanks

20161204_114041.jpg
20161204_113034.jpg

Few months ago I bought a pair of upfiring Atmos speakers. The difference they made to the whole of the front sound stage was very impressive indeed. What you get is height without the need for wire all the way up the wall. Using DTS Neural X or Dolby Surround in the Atmos configuration will place you in a bubble of sound and with the right content object placed sounds. The Onkyo Atmos looks as though they would suit your set up.

First, little bit confused, this is called 5.1.2 system, if using 2 ceiling speakers and 5 ear-height speakers + sub.
Current back speakers are too high, so you really have to move them about ear height, after that is point to use ceiling speakers or atmos enabled sound bouncing speakers. Otherwise sound will be too much messed up.

First, little bit confused, this is called 5.1.2 system, if using 2 ceiling speakers and 5 ear-height speakers + sub.
Current back speakers are too high, so you really have to move them about ear height, after that is point to use ceiling speakers or atmos enabled sound bouncing speakers. Otherwise sound will be too much messed up.

Hi,

I'm not sure if you are right about the height. Multiple sources I have checked online recommended 2/3 feet above ear height so they are not firing directly into the ear.

Also, maybe I didn't make it clear but I want to use existing speakers rather than having to fork out for atmos ones.

I think you're better off sticking with 5.1 rather than trying to compromise a 7.1 setup with speakers that can't be placed in the ideal positions.

If you want a DTS:X/Atmos setup then you'll need to add some height/ceiling/upfiring speakers as they're a requirement for those formats.

With your current setup, personally, I would lower your existing front left and right speakers and add in front heights above them and hide the cabling in trunking. I know you're not keen on that idea but I think it will give the best sound upgrade.

If you ever wanted to move to a 5.1.4 setup then you'd need to lower your surrounds and add heights above those. DTS:X/Atmos needs seperation between the upper and lower speakers or you can lose the sensation of height effects.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if you are right about the height. Multiple sources I have checked online recommended 2/3 feet above ear height so they are not firing directly into the ear.
Like Jase said, you have to move all speakers to ear level in atmos/dts x configuration.
Your statement above is valid only usual 5.1 or 7.1 configuration.
How are you planning to use existing speakers if not putting on ceiling or high on wall?
Or you just want to create usual 7.1 system? Why do you speak then about dts:x? Or you are just confused? :)

Last edited:
How are you planning to use existing speakers if not putting on ceiling or high on wall?
Or you just want to create usual 7.1 system? Why do you speak then about dts:x? Or you are just confused? :)

I said I would rather not have front height speakers as more unsightly, that's why I mentioned the back. Also, not confused as dts:x supports 7.1

Yesterday I finally got around to wall mounting a pair of KEF 100s in the surround position. These were my front left and right which were replaced by a pair of R300s, R50s were placed on top of these as instructed by Dolby. The R100s surrounds were lowered from the old Egg positions.

I've not yet had the chance to calibrate the new set up but watched Interstellar again last night. With the front upfirers and lowered surrounds the sound was awesome. There was so much sound from vibations inside the spacecraft I thought I was back inside my 1976 Ford Cortina. 5.1.2 with upfiring speakers does an awesome job.

THX recommend elevated surrounds, Dolby state they should all be at ear height.

People have been following Dolby's recommendations for quite some time now.

As others have said I would not use the extra speakers at rear as you do not have space for them.

I think you're better off sticking with 5.1 rather than trying to compromise a 7.1 setup with speakers that can't be placed in the ideal positions.

If you want a DTS:X/Atmos setup then you'll need to add some height/ceiling/upfiring speakers as they're a requirement for those formats.

With your current setup, personally, I would lower your current front left and right speakers and add in front heights above them and hide the cabling in trunking. I know you're not keen on that idea but I think it will give the best sound upgrade.

If you ever wanted to move to a 5.1.4 setup then you'd need to lower your surrounds and add heights above those. DTS:X/Atmos needs seperation between the upper and lower speakers or you can lose the sensation of height effects.

Hi , just curious why you would plump for front height over rear height speakers.

I have Onkyo tx-nr656 so I don' think 5.1.4 is an option unfortunately.

Hi , just curious why you would plump for front height over rear height speakers.

I have Onkyo tx-nr656 so I don' think 5.1.4 is an option unfortunately.

I can't speak for everyone but in my setup I find that the front heights add more to the overall sound stage. I can switch modes so that only front heights are being used and it still sounds excellent. Rear heights do enhance things but I could easily live without them.

If I had no options and had to use some sort of rear height setup I'd go for ceiling speakers above the seating area. The drawback to that is I wouldn't be able to use all the modes on my AVR (Auro3D, Audyssey DSX). With a front height setup I can access all of them as that's a universal layout that they all work with.

I can't speak for everyone but in my setup I find that the front heights add more to the overall sound stage. I can switch modes so that only front heights are being used and it still sounds excellent. Rear heights do enhance things but I could easily live without them.

If I had no options and had to use some sort of rear height setup I'd go for ceiling speakers above the seating area. The drawback to that is I wouldn't be able to use all the modes on my AVR (Auro3D, Audyssey DSX). With a front height setup I can access all of them as that's a universal layout that they all work with.

Working off your suggestion to lower fl and fr, how much lower would these need to be? Also, what's the recommended distance between front height and fl/r speakers? Thanks

Working off your suggestion to lower fl and fr, how much lower would these need to be? Also, what's the recommended distance between front height and fl/r speakers? Thanks

In an ideal world the FL and FR would be level with the Centre or slightly above. With the Front Heights you'd want at minimum a metre above the FL and FR (preferably more if possible). Obviously placement depends on working around your shelves etc.

I would say one thing though. If you have to try to compromise and aren't able to place them ideally then sticking with 5.1 is likely to be the best option.

Last edited:
In an ideal world the FL and FR would be level with the Centre or slightly above. With the Front Heights you'd want at minimum a metre above the FL and FR (preferably more if possible). Obviously placement depends on working around your shelves etc.

I would say one thing though. If you have to try to compromise and aren't able to place them ideally then sticking with 5.1 is likely to be the best option.

Hmm,so I guess fl/r would need to be placed on the console in line with the centre and the height speakers just below the ceiling. I think if I moved the centre above the TV and fl/r in line, I wouldn't have the separation between the height speakers.

Hmm,so I guess fl/r would need to be placed on the console in line with the centre and the height speakers just below the ceiling. I think if I moved the centre above the TV and fl/r in line, I wouldn't have the separation between the height speakers.

Yes, you'd need to bring the FL & FR down. Seperation to the Heights is quite important or you don't get a decent effect. On the flip side, you don't want them so far away that you end up with a hole in the soundstage. It's a case of finding the distance that works best with the speakers in your room.

Yes, you'd need to bring the FL & FR down. Seperation to the Heights is quite important or you don't get a decent effect. On the flip side, you don't want them so far away that you end up with a hole in the soundstage. It's a case of finding the distance that works best with the speakers in your room.

Hmm,,I'm just concerned if I put the speakers on the console, the front and centre are going to be too low then. Didn't you guys suggest that they should be at ear height ideally?

I would keep the front L/R where they are and if the fronts heights are going close to the ceiling then you should have plenty of separation between the 2 sets. In fact I would look to find a way to get the centre off the console since it is far from ideal in terms of its current location.

Hmm,,I'm just concerned if I put the speakers on the console, the front and centre are going to be too low then. Didn't you guys suggest that they should be at ear height ideally?

I wouldn't put them on the console but if it were me I'd bring them down so they're in line with the centre of the TV. As PSM1 says, the Centre speaker isn't ideally placed so I'd put it on something like an Auralex Mopad or similar and then you can angle it directly to where your head would be.

I can't see what space you have above the TV to place the Heights. Do you have another pic?

Yeah, I agree with you both that the centre is too low but was unsure how to get around this. I've included a new pic so you may have an idea? Cheers
20161206_140034.jpg

That's clearer. You have plenty of space to mount the Heights above your FL & FR even in the positions they're in now. The Centre could also go just above the TV if you wanted. At least you have a couple of options open to you. :)

Dodgy Photoshop below:-

Last edited:
That's clearer. You have plenty of space to mount the Heights above your FL & FR even in the positions they're in now. The Centre could also go just above the TV if you wanted. At least you have a couple of options open to you. :)

Dodgy Photoshop below:-

I was intrigued by your photoshop but sadly can't see it - is it attached? :?
I hadn't thought about wall mounting the centre but reading up on it, placed on the cabinet is less than ideal. The mopads look interesting , especially as I could angle them but unsure whether 8% would be sufficent.

Good that I have enough clearance for heights in existing position - do you guys just mount them as near to the ceiling as poss? If so, that would give me 1m12 gap between the front/heights

Just seen the image which answers my question, rough guess would be around 1m between then. Thanks a lot

Here's the other dodgy photoshopped option. The Centre could go above or below the TV. The Forum is very slow and taking ages to upload anything at the mo.

View attachment 795223

I was intrigued by your photoshop but sadly can't see it - is it attached? :?
I hadn't thought about wall mounting the centre but reading up on it, placed on the cabinet is less than ideal. The mopads look interesting , especially as I could angle them but unsure whether 8% would be sufficent.

Good that I have enough clearance for heights in existing position - do you guys just mount them as near to the ceiling as poss? If so, that would give me 1m12 gap between the front/heights

Just seen the image which answers my question, rough guess would be around 1m between then. Thanks a lot

The Mopads have a second section of foam so you can vary the angle. It doesn't take much to actually get the speaker aimed where you want it but it will depend on the distance you sit from the speaker. The further you sit, the greater the effect the angle has. One Mopad was enough to actually aim my speaker when sat around 10-11ft away. Adding the other foam section would make it aim too high.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom