1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

7.1 channels of what?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by spflan, Jul 22, 2005.

1. spflan

spflan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all

I'm trying to decide what type of A/V receiver to buy and could do with some advice!!

I had been looking at the Denon 1905 but wondered if I needed 7.1 capability. I am only intending to get a 5.1 speaker set. Then I had a (stupid?) thought - can I use the remaining two channels for something else - e.g. if I connected up a CD player and two proper stereo speakers located elsewhere in my apartment to listen to music....??

Could I configure it like this or would it not work?! If not, I could probably get away with a cheaper receiver.

Thanks for any pointers! :thumbsup:

Simon

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    depednding on your AMP you can use the extra 2 channels for a basic multi room function download the user manual and see what it says some amps require you to use a seperate power amp to do what you plan.

3. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Alternatively, some amplifiers allow you to allocate the spare channels to the front stereo pair enabling you to biamp the speakers. Having said that, both functions described are usually both available or not at all on the same models. :)

4. spflan

spflan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks to Horny and EvilJohn2 for the replies so far.

I notice on the Denon site for example that it says the 1905 has 7.1 "discrete channels" but I think the information I am missing is whether some of those can be controlled separately e.g. if I want to separate 2 channels from the rest. I get the impression the 7.1 mode is really only aimed at people who have like to have more speakers than seats in their living room ;) so maybe they haven't covered the functionality I am looking for....

More investigation required!

Simon