7.1 and Zone 2

Martian church

Novice Member
Hi. When I move house I am hoping to take Zone 2 from my AVR through the wall to outside speakers for music in garden. My current AVR (Marantz NR1608) has assignable Zone 2 - so if I assign 2 channels to Zone 2 stereo I lose my 'Atmos' rear height speakers - permanently - unless I reconnect the sleakers each time. I found that Yamaha RX-V685 has 7 channels but 9 outputs and automatically switches so I only lose the rear highs while using zone 2 - I think!
Are there other mid-range AVR's that can do this as I can't see Denon or Marantz ones do? Any recommendations for what I want?
Also I bought the NR (slim) as no others fit in my TV stand but I guess that will have to go!

Last edited:

gibbsy

To be able to use nine channels, 7.1 in main zone and two in a second zone from the same unit then besides nine channels of processing it also has to have nine channels of amplification. The Denon X3700 is capable of nine channels out of the box which will play 7.1 and a stereo zone 2.

Martian church

Novice Member
To be able to use nine channels, 7.1 in main zone and two in a second zone from the same unit then besides nine channels of processing it also has to have nine channels of amplification. The Denon X3700 is capable of nine channels out of the box which will play 7.1 and a stereo zone 2.
Thanks I'll look at that but I was happy with something that switched to 5.1 when stereo in use in zone 2 , the Yamaha is the only one I could see that did this . So only 7 channels but would suit my purposes as would have 7.1 at all times unless someone was using zone 2 . I was just surprised this wasn't a desired feature but maybe it's just me!

dante01

Distinguished Member
Yamaha 7 channel models allow you to connect 7 speakers in the main room and have 2 additional second zone speakers connected at the same time. The AV receiver can then be configured to switch its amplification assignments automatically on the fly depending upon which zone is in use. If only using the main zone then you'd get all 7 speakers in that zone, but if you engage the second zone then the AV receiver switched 2 channels of amplification to powering the zone 2 speakers and you on;y get 5 speakers active in the main zone.

I think this feature is specific to Yamaha models?

dante01

Distinguished Member
It should be note that you can also have both back surrounds and a pair of Atmos (presence) speakers connected to the Yamaha 7 channel models and the AV receiver will automatically switch between them depending upon the mode you select or the format of the incoming source. The auto assignment feature isn't just applicable to a second audio zpne. This gives you the option of a 7.1 or a 5.1.2 setup depending upon the source and or the mode you select.

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom