1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

7.1 amps...... but i only have 6.1

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by buns, Jun 28, 2003.

1. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Having put up with my old yamaha for way too long, this summer sees a big processor into my system. Im hoping for a tag or less likely bryston. The thing which occurs to me is that these are all 7.1...... i want to use 6.1 since i have a set up consisting of 3 identical pairs. Having never tried or even seen a 7.1 amp please excuse the naivity of the question, but is 6.1 supported?

Ad

2. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Buns.
    Certainly on Tags you define the surround back channels as either of these:

1 small
    2 small
    1 full range
    2 full range
    1 small + height channel
    1 large + height channel.
    etc
    etc.

For THX2 processing you have to tell the processor that you have 2 surround back speakers present (i suppose you could lie) otherwise you cannot engage it.

Steven.

3. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    ok so basically you define virtually anything you like..... that sounds good to me, im too used to having no option!

thanks

ad

4. rozzar

rozzar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    my HK4500 supports 7.1 too, but afaik, and i could be wrong here- the surround backs are mono? therefore you're not really losing out if you just use 6.1? my rear centre is at the back of my room, in between my two bipoles... works fine

Attached Files:

5. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    as far as i understood i would agree with that.....but i wasnt sure whether just leaving one of the channels of a 7.1 set up out would be ok. I figured that the processing would be considering all 7 channels and would sound wrong with 6. So long as the amp allows me to configure as 6.1 im happy

thanks

ad

6. markbuffyfan

markbuffyfan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i run a 7.1 amp and speaker system but its never used in this way because i have yet to come across source material in 7.1 only 6.1 and thats rare enough. Using THE 7.1 effect on my denon amp (widescreen) is not as effective as using the encoding set on the disc as the default .I used to use it but asked the question on heren and was told to use the source code and it was better, in 6,1 with 7.1 speakers set up side rears and rear rears as per thx style it works well but other than the spread of sound i do not think that it will work significantly better than a single rear middle (room physics permitting). Big room means the other speaker will give a bigger sound but most people do not have the perfect shaped room for the kit anyway .things like windows and window poles (in my case) get in the way.

7. rozzar

rozzar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    as i said above, 7.1 is just 6.1 but with an extra mono rear surround back speaker- theres no such thing as true 7.1!!
    incidentally, try
    Chicken Run
    Terminator 2 Plat. Edition
    Blade 2
    Die Another Day
    Jurassic Park 3
    Austin Powers 3

All these I definetly know are in 6.1 DTS-ES surround and I think Seven is as well!

8. markbuffyfan

markbuffyfan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    click onto the dts site and have a look it has all the films and the sound fomat they are relased in