7.1 amp into 5.1?

YamahaLover1975

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello. New here so after a little advice if you wouldn't mind.

Have recently purchased a Yamaha DSP-AX759SE amp, and want tips on connections and speakers on the following.....

1. How do you get the OSD to work and what video output to a screen do you use?

2. I have a Bose Acoustimass 5ch system. As the amp is a 7.1, whats the best way, if possible, to have it set as a 5 speaker system? I don't have an active sub, just the passive Acoustimass module thats wired with the speakers thru it.

I do have a pair of Bose 501s, if needed I could connect these, but they are a bit too large for the room atm.

3. I mainly use the amp to play sound fed via optical link from back of TV. Any tips or essentials in the settings I need to look at?

4. Any other tips on settings etc you people suggest??

TIA. Mark

The Yamaha is designed to have speakers attached to it's own binding posts and run with an active sub. I don't think it's possible to run the Bose and the Yamaha in conjunction. There are no HDMI inputs on the Yamaha and it has to be be connected to the TV via component leads. There are optical inputs.

As Gibbsy says, you need different speakers.

To make your 7.1 AVR work with 5 speakers, configure the 2 you don't have in the Yamaha's menu to "No speaker".

To make OSD work, configure the On Screen menu to correspond to the connectivity option you have used to connect to the TV (component, s-video, composite ("video")). Since the OSD is designed for when the AVR is being used as the source, it will not work when playing the TV, as then it's the sink.

Since your AVR is 576i-only, my recommendation is to ignore the OSD for the most part, and route your video without considering the AVR - leave the AVR for the audio only. For the initial setup, just run an S Video across cable the room, then remove it once configured.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom