Question 7.1.4 vs 5.1.4 small room

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Scott76, Jul 10, 2015.

1. Scott76

Scott76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    Hi,my room is only 12x10 so wondered if I should go 7.1.4 which will be a lot more expensive or go with 5.1.4.Not done either setup before and think maybe 7.1.4 will have too many speakers at the rear and may sound muddled.There is so much conflicting advice on this online either way so just wondered if I could get some advise off people who actually know what they are talking about?
    Thanks all

2. Scott76

Scott76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    PS,I have the xtz cinema 5.1 at the moment so the rest of the setup will be the S2's

3. Ambienz

Ambienz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Hi,

As a starting point I would say that I am not one of those people that know what they are talking about. :)

I am still using 5.1 (as are most), but am considering an Atmos system (as soon as I figure how to hide the extra speakers from the Mrs). My thoughts on the subject are as follows:

1. An overhead channel is a big gain for AVR
    2. Do I really need 4 overhead speakers or are 2 sufficient
    3. Do I really want to cut 4 holes in the ceiling (not fan of the idea of atmos enabled speakers - do it properly).
    4. How much do I care about overhead sound other than just for effects. e.g. will I notice a chopper flying diagonally (right to left, back to front) through my rear, front and 1 pair of overhead speakers
    5. how much content will take advantage of 4 or even 2 overhead speakers
    6. A 7.1.4 will allow you to run 5.1.4, 5.1.2 7.1.2 etc, so you can experiment with value of extra speakers by borrowing some and running a test at home. I think a number require an extra amp to get all the channels working so you are not paying for extra amplifier channels, just processing channels
    7. There is obviously the extra cost of the AVR which is the item that you can't delay. It also depends on what you are looking for and how much you want to spend. I am not a big fan of most AV for music, but am big music listener. I run power amps and a separate AV preamp.
    8. Alternatively can those channels be used elsewhere - multi room music system?
    My thoughts (for me) are for 7.1.2 system unless the margin different for an extra 2 channels is minimal and gives me extra flexibility. Will be interesting to see if anyone has a .4 set up and compared to running it at .2 to evaluate the extra benefit.

Will be interested in the replies.

4. Scott76

Scott76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    I thought that but when the experts tested they said 5.1.4 was much more immersive than 7.1.2 and surely it makes a difference if your rear space is limited.As for holes in ceiling,I read so much about ceiling speakers being heard upstairs due to no back box which is why I'm waiting for the S2 as they are small and surface mounted so the best of both worlds,add to that they are part of the xtz cinema line so should be fantastic compared to run of the mill ceiling speakers!.

5. Nayfne

Nayfne
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,011
    I'm using 5.1.2 with to CA minx mins12 ( think that's the model number lol).for atmos duties, located top middle and mounted on the ceiling aiming down toward mlp and the rest of the speakers kef T101's..even this configuration over using the 7.1 I used to have is so much more immersive and open, keep counting down for the next atmos released blu ray

6. Scott76

Scott76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    Really? So you think 5.1.2 was even better than 7.1 even with loosing your rears ?

7. Nayfne

Nayfne
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,011
    A 100% definitely yes, I was apprehensive/sceptical as to wether it would be as good..to me and my ears , atmos is a revelation and also using the DSU with non atmos blu rays sounds great.

8. Scott76

Scott76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    What amp have you got?

9. Nayfne

Nayfne
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,011
    Onkyo 838 mate

10. Scott76

Scott76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    Sweet,I have the 818 and thinking of getting the 7009 but thinking the 7010,just don't no if the extra cost would be worth it as I only watch films via Netflix and vudu!.

11. Nayfne

Nayfne
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,011
    I'm guessing both will also have dts:x ?.do vudu stream atmos material?

12. Nayfne

Nayfne
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,011
    Both will have dts x I believe?

13. Scott76

Scott76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    Not yet but it's awsum for the latest films from the us.

14. Nayfne

Nayfne
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,011
    Yeah it sounds good..Have you demoed any atmos material yet Scott?

15. Scott76

Scott76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    No mate nothing,but hoping to get the 7009 or 7010 plus four S2 atmos speakers next month,just hope the amp can handle all those 4ohm speakers as many say a sepeate amp is best but like all if us want to keep costs down as this hobby could could cost a fortune!.

16. Nayfne

Nayfne
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,011
    Its hard to keep costs down when you want quality sound lol..I hope you enjoy atmos as Much as I do..think your in for a treat mate.

17. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,225

THX recently ran their own tests and they came to the conclusion that it is better to keep the back speakers as opposed to ditching them in favour of an extra pair of Atmos speakers. They suggest it better to have a 7.1.2 setup than a 5.1.4 setup and regard the back speakers as being more important than an extra pair of Atmos speakers. This is outlined within a recent AVForums interview with THX here:

AVForums Podcast: THX Immersive Audio Interview | AVForums

They also suggest the best placement for a single pair of Atmos speakers is to have one firing downward to either side of the listening position.

18. Member 566779

Member 566779

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    As always it is room dependant... but for your size room it is tricky to get squeeze a 7 channel system in without having the appropriate angles and separation... I would say stick with a 5 channel system... Do you have an idea on room layout and seating position yet?

The main thing with Atmos... is do not compromise your basic surround setup to try to achieve an Atmos setup... and make sure you have wide dispersion speakers for your atmos speakers... Seen some people fitting little sat speakers to their ceiling which makes me a sad panda inside... But Atmos done correctly is exceptional experience.

Guess the main thing to figure out your seating position first to identify what would be a correct setup for you.

19. sims

sims

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +178
    Yep rear surround for me are always most dependant on the distance between the back wall and the seating position. If you have more than 1m I would put them in as they make a big difference.

20. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,225
    It maybe should also be noted that Dolby are suggesting that rear and back speakers be located at seated head height with Atmos configurations. This is lower than most current setups. THX have suggested it better to place them higher, but not as high as they'd previously suggested for conventional 5.1 and or 7.1 setups. Dipole and to a lesser extent bipole speakers are not advisable for Atmos setups.

21. Member 566779

Member 566779

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    At ear level height is great when you are the only one in the room but otherwise seat to seat consistancy is poor... Had better results being about 1ft above listen level position... still able to pull sounds down and steer objects effectively.

22. Scott76

Scott76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    image.jpg This is the rear of room,as you can see it's fairly small but do have a few feet behind sofa!.

23. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,225
    I'd probably suggest it a little too tight to fascilitate back speakers effectively?

24. Nayfne

Nayfne
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,011
    Looks like a sweet setup mate..let me know on what configuration you eventually choose.

25. Scott76

Scott76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    Yeah decided to go 5.1.4 mate as 5.1 already sounds ace with the xtz's so surely extra 4 ceiling speakers will be awsum

26. dalevim

dalevim
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi

Am currently in the process of converting out building and have been going thru similar dilemma. Room is 5.5.x5m and have decided to go or at least cable for 5.1.4 (van Damme Blue 2.5mm). The design chief won't allow side speaker only rear surrounds so no 7. systems.
    So far am looking at daliz sensor surrounds (zensor 3 at front and zensor 1 at back) and was looking at some MA ceiling speakers, but after a trip to Richer Sounds am considering CAMinx C46 as they are small and come with a built in hood. As its 5.1.4 will need a decent AVR and am thinking Denon X5200W.

What do people think, does this sound like a sensible combination. Final choice need to be made in next week or two as builders are cracking on !

27. Scott76

Scott76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    I'd go with the xtz S2 mate due for release any time now as they are built for atmos and the cinema line are amazing,they are ceiling mountable and only around £350 a pair and should blow any current ceiling speaker out of the water!.

28. Scott76

Scott76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    Also the marantz SR7009 is the best receiver around at the mo for the money and ill be getting one myself in the next month.The 7010 is due out but unless you have 4k products to connect at this time it's pointless right now and you could save yourself 600 quid!.

29. dalevim

dalevim
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Have 4k samsung tv so ideally need 4k pass thru, will look at xtz speakers
    Cheers