Quantcast

Question 7.1.4 is it worth it over 5.1.4

busterbenny2001

Distinguished Member
Hi just after opinions before my carpet gets laid next week, just bought a react screen and have wired up 5.1.4 for atmos, I do have extra speakers so no real extra expense will be incurred, the room is 5.7m by 5.5m so a big room,
current speakers are

Linn AV5140 Front pair + AV5120 centre
bk monolith sub
rears are q acoustic 1050i floorstanders
4 ceiling atmos speakers
amp marantz 7010

current pj is an Epson tw9000, to be upgraded to 4K in the future

i have a set of q acoustic 1010i on stands that I could easily use to give me 7.1.4 but will it be an improvement?

any opinions welcomed

thanks

Buster

gibbsy

If you have the room then yes, it will add an extra dimension to the soundstage. Although not needed because of the receivers 11 channel abilities you may want to consider some external power for the front three to lessen the load on the receiver. That will make a difference.

Harkon321

If you have a meter behind seating go for it. If you've no room behind you, sofa against rear wall, then don't bother. Either way I'd wire for it whilst you the option, can always change your mind in the future.

busterbenny2001

Distinguished Member
Thanks guys yes I have a good metre behind the cinema seating so may as well try it
!

I will think about a separate power source for the front 3 in the future too

thsnks again

busterbenny2001

Distinguished Member
What sort of power amp would I need for front 3 ?

will the marantz suffice for a while without blowing up lol

gibbsy

What sort of power amp would I need for front 3 ?

will the marantz suffice for a while without blowing up lol
The Marantz has 11 channels of processing but only nine to amp. That's why having an external amps has been mentioned. At the moment you're limited to 5.1.4. Adding two extra for 7.1.4 will need that extra amp. The front three are always mentioned as they carry the bulk of the audio.

Scott_Mac

Regardless of whether it is worth it, i'd cable in the speakers anyway. You might not want it now, but it'll be a lot less hassle in the future if you decide you want to add them later!

Personally, in a room that size, I think you'll benefit.

Top Bottom