1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

6x9's Advice..

Discussion in 'ICE, Sat Navs & Dash Cams Forum' started by Matt Horne, Mar 31, 2003.

1. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    I am currently running a Kenwood MP3 Head unit.. and wish to replace the 4 7x5 speakers in my focus..

Any recommendations for good quality speakers.. to be run by the HU at the mo (no current plans for a amp) :)

Cheers

Matt

Edited to remove blatant inaccuracy!

2. G1OSE

G1OSE
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    dont buy 6by9's just get some big round speaers like the pioneer 8 inch ones 3 way high wattage and good speakers i wouldnt bother with 6 by 9's

3. backtothefuture

backtothefuture

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    6x9s are good for bass depending on which ones you get... I got a set on Infinity Kappas in the rear and sometimes it feels I have a sub installed (even though I don't have one yet!)

4. G1OSE

G1OSE
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    but 8inch round speakers are even better for bass and have a 8 inch bass cone so it is like having 2 in there much better than 6by 9's as for a start they are bigger moving more air and giving more bass!

5. dnrc

dnrc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    IMHO, you will be better off having a very good set of standard or component speakers in the front and a sub or some bass drivers as mentioned previously in the back.

I would not have 6x9's in the back as it will sound better without these dragging the soundstage back, the only reason I feel you want full range speakers in the back is if your passengers moan about it, personally I don't sit in the back so I don't care.

6. Neil69

Neil69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I have an Alpine setup in my Corrado G60. 5" in the doors with dash mounted tweeters, 6x9's on the parcel shelf, 2 12" subs in the boot & a 5 channel amp in the boot, too. £1500 worth. Sounds brilliant!
    Ta, Neil.

7. kryten

kryten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    The only 6x9s I ever liked were the Infinity three way component set with a ribbon tweeter but they were a sod to fit into the front doors!!

Personally, I would spend at least 80% of the speaker budget (excluding sub) on the fronts - you really don't want much sound coming from behind you, merely enough to fill in the rear a little, so cheap speakers there are no great problem.

Also, 6x9s at the rear will tend to localise the punchy midbass behind you. The 'can't tell where the sub is' idea for low bass only works when you've actually got decent midbass up front!

8. zu11y

zu11y

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    id defo go for a pair of pioneer 3way their about 35 pound so not a bank buster but are extremely good speakers for the price i suspect matt has got something sorted so this advice is for any1 with a simular situation

Last edited: Jul 20, 2008
  9. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    I suspect after 5 years he's got something sorted out. :)

10. Member 293657

Member 293657
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    these are what you want place in factory locations and then add the midrange/tweeter were you want it

we fitted two sets into a mk1 02 focus 3 door running on a alpine headunit sounded penomanal expensive but definatly worth the money specially with abit off sound deadening

http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/3982.html

11. Jamz

Jamz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22

Mat just get some alpine 5x7inch upgrade speakers... wire them to an amp... and they sound awesome! I did this in my mk1 focus, now i have a mk2 and have a similar setup with with 8inch components (round speakers in the mk2's)