Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

6x9 speaker

Discussion in 'Video Streaming Boxes & Services' started by tugster, Feb 28, 2005.

1. tugster

tugster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    does it matter if you mount 6x9 speakers face down?any feedback thanks :)
    basically its in a transit connect,i want to mount the speakers on the shelf above that cant be chopped up as is a lease van either that or any other ideas would be gratefull already got a alpine 200w sub under passenger seat and jvc 501 head unit.

2. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    Unless the speaker cone is allowed space to move I'm pretty certain the voice coil will burn up before long :(

3. ozzyo99

ozzyo99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Out of interest why on earth are you getting some shoddy 6x9 if you have a sub. The ONLY reason 6x9 should ever be considered is for rigs missing a dedicated bass source. The fact you have a sub means you will have more than enough bass, and have absolutely no need for crude speakers like 6x9 - they don't even sound good :suicide: .

What you need to do is get yourself a decent set of component speakers to compliment your low end bass with some sharp detailed mid-high range. You can pick up some decent Alpine components for about £50 that will pish all over any 6x9 for sound quality.

Ask anybody who knows anything about ICE for a set of 6x9 and they will laugh at you. Components, components, components...

As for your question it will distort your sound and place more stress on the driver, which will lead to bad sound and probably a shortened life.

4. tugster

tugster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers for that,but the thing is cant rip out doors or drill holes,and the sub aint that loud what i ideally need is more bass with loudness,so no drilling or ripping out shelves or making new holes? :(

5. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    I take it the sub is not in a box. Personally i would get a 10" sub and stick it in a sealed box. A 50 watt(rms) amp will do nicely. My pug 306 has this setup and it can hit over 120dB which is more than enough for most people. Just make sure it cant be seen through the back door windows :lesson:

6. tugster

tugster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    good point but remember its a transit not a car so i have to fit it all in the cab,hence the alpine sub is a pre amp sub under the seat,so i need speakers that will deliver more bass and volume?

7. ozzyo99

ozzyo99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    A sub that isn't enclosed it a bit of a waste mate, why not just make an MDF box, and put it in the back?

8. tugster

tugster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no room in the back as it is totally racked out hence why i need to have all the sounds in the cab