1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

6th speaker placement help please

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Atari, Jan 17, 2003.

1. Atari

Atari
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    6th speaker placement (recomendations ? )

I currently have the following system

Mission 780 as main stereo pair.

Mission 77C as centre

Mission 77Ds as the surround rears.

Mordant Short Subwoofer

Yamaha 630RDS Surround amp

I would like to add a 6th speaker for DD EX and DTS ES. The only problem is that between the two rear surrounds I have a door (to a balcony) and a big window. So there is no where to hang another speaker.

I thought about using another 77DS and to use a stand that could be moved away from the door , when not in use.This might be a waste as I would have to buy another pair of surrounds and I would only use one (although I have heard of people using two in parallel). Another solution was to buy one Kef egg with a stand.

The listening position is very close to the rear surrounds <1M. A friend suggested that I could set the speaker facing the glass door to reflect the sound.

As a temp solution I have a loaned bookshelf speaker on a stool, facing the door.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Atari

2. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +449
    I've never tried this but ... I've read somewhere - either Dolby or Jamo or DTS or THX website - the if all else fails you could lie a speaker on it's back behind your chair and get reasonable ES/EX sound from it ...

Well it's worth a try with your loaned bookshelf speaker.

Victoria

3. GuitarGray

GuitarGray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sorry for being thick.. i have a 5.1 setup and this 6th speaker thing is confusing me.. can i add 1 and how? amp only has 5 speaker outputs and a sub and a active sub!!
    (bit off theread here but) if i add an active sub do i have to disconect my passive one??
    thanks for taking time to read this
    Graeme

4. iwatkins

iwatkins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a similar problem with my rear surrounds. They had to go behind the sofa (which is on the back wall) and the missus disn't want them mounted on the wall.

So I've simply placed them behind the sofa, on the floor, facing straight up.

OK, they are about 1m away and with the sofa almost against the wall they sound fine. I had to boost the level by +2 dB for the rears to get it right but works fine. Oh, and the missus is happy so we are all happy ;)

I would try simply placing your 6th on the floor behind your sitting position. If the path is direct use that distance to set it up. If the majority of the sound it going to be reflected to you, add on that distance. You may also want to try wiring the 6th the other way around if using reflected. I tried both but stuck with standard.

Cheers

Ian

5. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +449
    The 6th speaker is for DTS-ES and DD-EX. Most amps that can decode 6.1 will have all 6 (or 7) amps built in though there are a few that need an extra power amp to do 6(7).1

Victoria

6. Zig

Zig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is on the Dolby site I think. I threw a pair of mission 700's behind the sofa in my old room and it sounded OK.

7. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    I tried mine behind the sofa on the floor up to the wall allmost wife blew her stack now back to five speakers sounded good too the bitch
    :mad:

8. MarcT

MarcT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Dolby Guide to Home Theater Sound

9. Demon

Demon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    As with all things, you need to try it in your room...

My brother in law has a 6.1 setup, and has his sofa backed upto the rear wall, with a window behins, We tried loads of combinations, behind sofa at various angles, etc which sounded OK... quite suprising, but the best solution for this setup was above the window, directly behind the sofa, angled down, with the conventional rears firing sideways accross the sofa.... but you may not be able to try this, depends on how much gap their is above the window...

10. Atari

Atari
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To all

Many thanks for the advice etc. I will try the sugesstions and see what is best for the room. Would a dipole speaker be better than a biploar one ?

Many thanks

Atari