1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

6ohm speakers on an 8ohm amp?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by flyingmonk, Dec 28, 2003.

1. flyingmonk

flyingmonk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi, i cant run 6 ohm speakers on an 8 ohm amp can i?

(wharfedale Modus Monitor MFM-7's on a denon 3801)

i cant rember if theres a switch to change the impedance, but the rest of my speakers are 8 ohms anyway..

i got a good deal for em 2nd hand, but if i cant use....

oh ive just had a look at the back of the amp on homecinemachoice.com, and it looks like it says 6-16ohms, anyone
    know anything more? cos i could need my eyes teted..

cheers

2. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    Yes you can, my fronts are 6ohm the rest are 8ohm and its never been a problem.As long as you don't run at high volumes for long periods it should be ok.I have a 4/8ohm switch,i allways have this at 8ohms.Its 4 ohm speakers that start to become a problem with most av amps.

3. flyingmonk

flyingmonk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    we have a parties quite often being a student house, an we generally put it very close to full volume... but from the looks of this pic... http://www.homecinemachoice.com/testbench/Amplifiers/Denon/DenonAVR-3801_rear.jpg it seems i can run the fronts at 6 ohms, but id dont know how... (look under the surround b speaker binding posts) does the amp tell if its 6ohms, or do you need to switch... the manual is at uni so i cant read it

4. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    Sorry i can't see the picture ,anyway no need to switch or do anything.The amp can't tell the impedance of the speakers,just one word of warning, at those levels you could damage your hearing your speakers and your amp :rolleyes: have fun:D

5. flyingmonk

flyingmonk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well its not too often, i just like to show off my system, we end up turning it down after like 20 mins when people realise they cant talk... thanks for the advice! (oh and heres the pic http://www.homecinemachoice.com/testbench/Amplifiers/Denon/DenonAVR-3801_rear.jpg the link works before i post, its shortend in the one before so maybe the forum cuts it up...)

hmmm it doesnt work... anyway its on homecinemachoice.com under denon avr-3801