6m netwrok cable ?

wookielover

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Quick quick question that the more techy minded people can answer in about two seconds .
Im fed up of my wifi - the wireless bit on it is hit and miss and i want to plug my mac directly in to the modem with a network cable to spot the annoying drop out of signal etc .
Any way the mac is around 6 m from the router - i can move the router or the mac , so my question is - will having a 6 m network cable make any noticable difference in the internet speed ?
I always thought anything over 5m wasnt advised for quality , but in real world terms will i notice it ?

> will having a 6 m network cable make any noticable difference in the internet speed ?

No

Quick quick question that the more techy minded people can answer in about two seconds .
Im fed up of my wifi - the wireless bit on it is hit and miss and i want to plug my mac directly in to the modem with a network cable to spot the annoying drop out of signal etc .
Any way the mac is around 6 m from the router - i can move the router or the mac , so my question is - will having a 6 m network cable make any noticable difference in the internet speed ?
I always thought anything over 5m wasnt advised for quality , but in real world terms will i notice it ?

I'm not techie, but i have my playstation connected with a 10m ethernet cable and that works much better than wireless for me, usually get around 1-2mb/s more than i get over wireless:

~14mb/s - wireless
~16mb/s - 10m ethernet

You're maybe thinking about HDMI? (even then you can run much more than 5m)

You could run up to 100M of ethernet cable before having to worry :smashin:

UTP cable (cat5/5e/6) for ethernet at 10/100/1000mbps speeds is specified up to 90m in length. You won't see any speed difference between 1m and 90m. We're basically talking the speed of an electrical signal over a bit of cable here!

Nive one guys thank you - i knew you wouldnt let me down.
If the mOds could close this when they get the chance - thank you

Think about it, network cable used in homes/offices/builidings all over the world, long runs are fine (up to 100M - as pointed out above).

No need to spend lots either!

A cable WILL be faster than Wifi, so nothing to loose. If running a CAT5 cable is a problem then home plugs could be a solution.

I'm not techie, but i have my playstation connected with a 10m ethernet cable and that works much better than wireless for me, usually get around 1-2mb/s more than i get over wireless:

~14mb/s - wireless
~16mb/s - 10m ethernet

That's pretty decent wireless. I have a Virgin Superhub and struggle to connect in the next room! Had to buy some homeplugs.

The switch from Half Duplex to Full Duplex if you move from WiFi (G) to Wired is what makes more difference than the extra speed when browsing...

With half duplex you can only send OR receive data in turn, with Full duplex you can send and Receive data at the same time.

That's pretty decent wireless. I have a Virgin Superhub and struggle to connect in the next room! Had to buy some homeplugs.

I get my full 40mb via wireless to devices two stories above. I guess it depends on your router.

I get my full 40mb via wireless to devices two stories above. I guess it depends on your router.

Do you have the Superhub? I wasn't aware there was more than 1 model? The wireless has always been pants for us, we do have pretty thick walls in our house but shouldn't be that bad. The Superhub is about 2 metres away (through the wall) and it's abysmal.

Or sometimes the constructions of the wall/house.

Although the next room is quite odd.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom