Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

6ft or 7ft Screen

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by loonatic, Aug 31, 2004.

1. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I was all set to go with a 6ft fixed frame screen and then I get the offer of a very decent 7ft tab-tensioned screen at a good price.

Not worried about the throw distance as that is okay.

My viewing distance will be 13ft.

Would I be pushing it going for the 7ft screen ?

Or should I stick with a 6ft screen ?

The PJ will be a Marantz S3 DLP...I think :rolleyes:

Haven't bought anything yet...still in the planning, and financing, stage.

What do you guy's think ?

Cheers, Lee

2. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    No doubt Messiah or Fulabeer will chime in, but I'd say go for 7 ft...... For me the scale of the image is a very important element of watching a movie, and the primary reason for having front projection. With the performance of an S3, you shouldn't really have any problems whatsoever lighting up a 7ft screen.

I did run a screen at 6ft for a while, and it's ok-ish for 16:9 material, but I didn't get the same "bang-per-buck" when viewing 2.35:1 material (which most stuff anyway....).

Sean.

3. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +338
    Here I am :)

I can say that like Sean I would definitely go for a 7ft screen. I have an 8ft and view from about 14ft. The S3 has no problem delivering a stunning image on thais size screen. It's a 1.2 gain Owl for info. I often considered moving down to a 7ft (to do with pj positioning) but just know I would miss the 'big screen' feel.

I guess I'll make the most of it as well as may be selling much of the HC stuff shortly (including the S3 :( ) as considering a house move which may involve a stint in rented accommodation. I'd hate to have all this kit lying in boxes hoping the next house would suit it.

4. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Neil,

...... that'll cause some drooling in the Hardware for Sale forum..... :D

Friends (kramer, Vex) run 8ft screens, I can't accomodate that size in my movie room but provided the projector can light it up and screendoor/structure is not an issue, the size has a real impact, no doubt about it.

Al the best,

Sean.

5. Beamer

Beamer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Lee

Did you try the test I recomended?

Since you are viewing ~1.86 x the screen width you should be more than ok with a 7ft screen. Dropping below 1.5 is generally not to be recomended.

FYI the distance that you were watching your demo from was ~16ft

6. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Yes I did...sorry for not letting you know how I got on but I've been a bit busy - which makes a change for me :devil:

As it happens my speakers are just over 7ft apart as they are at the moment.

I think I'll be going for an 80" wide by 45" high screen now.

The Stewart screen I have been offerd is the same model and size as yours but it was a cancelled custom made job with no extra masking at the top and very little on the sides and bottom meaning that ceiling mounting would be out unless I wanted to get a crick in my neck.

I think I'll be sticking with the Fixed Frame verson.

Was it realy ~16ft - perhaps it was the lightish decor or width of the room but it seemed further than that. My room is a very dark grey all over with all black woodwork and carpet so seems smaller than it really is.

Cheers, Lee