1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

6ft or 7ft Screen

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by loonatic, Aug 31, 2004.

1. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I was all set to go with a 6ft fixed frame screen and then I get the offer of a very decent 7ft tab-tensioned screen at a good price.

Not worried about the throw distance as that is okay.

My viewing distance will be 13ft.

Would I be pushing it going for the 7ft screen ?

Or should I stick with a 6ft screen ?

The PJ will be a Marantz S3 DLP...I think :rolleyes:

Haven't bought anything yet...still in the planning, and financing, stage.

What do you guy's think ?

Cheers, Lee

2. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    No doubt Messiah or Fulabeer will chime in, but I'd say go for 7 ft...... For me the scale of the image is a very important element of watching a movie, and the primary reason for having front projection. With the performance of an S3, you shouldn't really have any problems whatsoever lighting up a 7ft screen.

I did run a screen at 6ft for a while, and it's ok-ish for 16:9 material, but I didn't get the same "bang-per-buck" when viewing 2.35:1 material (which most stuff anyway....).

Sean.

3. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Here I am :)

I can say that like Sean I would definitely go for a 7ft screen. I have an 8ft and view from about 14ft. The S3 has no problem delivering a stunning image on thais size screen. It's a 1.2 gain Owl for info. I often considered moving down to a 7ft (to do with pj positioning) but just know I would miss the 'big screen' feel.

I guess I'll make the most of it as well as may be selling much of the HC stuff shortly (including the S3 :( ) as considering a house move which may involve a stint in rented accommodation. I'd hate to have all this kit lying in boxes hoping the next house would suit it.

4. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Neil,

...... that'll cause some drooling in the Hardware for Sale forum..... :D

Friends (kramer, Vex) run 8ft screens, I can't accomodate that size in my movie room but provided the projector can light it up and screendoor/structure is not an issue, the size has a real impact, no doubt about it.

Al the best,

Sean.

5. Beamer

Beamer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Lee

Did you try the test I recomended?

Since you are viewing ~1.86 x the screen width you should be more than ok with a 7ft screen. Dropping below 1.5 is generally not to be recomended.

FYI the distance that you were watching your demo from was ~16ft

6. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Yes I did...sorry for not letting you know how I got on but I've been a bit busy - which makes a change for me :devil:

As it happens my speakers are just over 7ft apart as they are at the moment.

I think I'll be going for an 80" wide by 45" high screen now.

The Stewart screen I have been offerd is the same model and size as yours but it was a cancelled custom made job with no extra masking at the top and very little on the sides and bottom meaning that ceiling mounting would be out unless I wanted to get a crick in my neck.

I think I'll be sticking with the Fixed Frame verson.

Was it realy ~16ft - perhaps it was the lightish decor or width of the room but it seemed further than that. My room is a very dark grey all over with all black woodwork and carpet so seems smaller than it really is.

Cheers, Lee