690 miles in an electric car with a 18 months old :)

Discussion in 'Hybrid, PHEV & EV Electric Cars Forum' started by gangzoom, Nov 13, 2017.

1. gangzoom

gangzoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +989
    A few months ago we finally took delivery of our 75D Tesla Model X. To say this is the most expensive, complicated, luxurious, and largest car we’ve owned would be an understatement. The car it replaced (a Nissan Leaf) was nearly 1 ton lighter, half a meter smaller, and multiple folds cheaper. However with a growing family, some hard saving, and my own interest in all things new in tech the Tesla is the car I’ve been looking forwards to owning for a long time!!

Two of the key questions I always get asked about EVs is range and charging. We did take our old Leaf on a 300 mile round trip from Cardiff to Leicester, but a combination of limited range (80-90 miles) and not that quick charging meant that one trip was enough to put me off using the Leaf for long distance drives for the whole time we owned it. So although the original 24kWh Leaf was/is a great commuter car, using one as a family wagon on long trips really isn’t enjoyable – Current 30kWh Leaf and the new 40kWh should change that though.

So what better to try and see what a difference the Tesla makes to the range/charging experience than a road trip with our 18 months old daughter??

Rather than just do a simple trip from Leicester to Cardiff, we decided to go a tour heading up north via Liverpool, than Lake District, Edinburgh, than back down to Leeds, before finally coming back to Leicester.

After plugging in the destinations to Google maps the total trip time came out to 673 miles, equating to nearly 14hrs of driving!!

[​IMG]

Having previously done some big drives in the past including a 2000 mile blast across Europe it wasn’t the distance that bothered me, more how our 18 months old daughter would cope sitting in a car seat for that long!!! I even thought about cancelling the whole thing but when the departure day came we went for it.....am sure any parent understands my fears.

Outward leg: Leicester to Edinburgh, via Liverpool – 356 miles, 7hr+

We left Leicester fully charged, and arrived in Warrington Supercharger for lunch. For those who don’t know Tesla have a series of rapid chargers (Superchargers) along the UK M-way network. These chargers provide a stupid amount of electricity, it takes a Tesla Supercharger about 1 minute to deliver the same amount of electricity a normal 3 pin plug can deliver in 1 hr!!

Unlike other EV chargers the Tesla chargers are much more reliable, have multiple chargers at each site, and can only be used by Tesla cars. So the chance of arriving at a Supercharger and not been able to charge is rare.

[​IMG]

By the time we finished lunch the car was 100% charged and it meant when we didn’t need to do any kind of charging overnight when visiting friends in Liverpool.

The next day was the longer drive up to Edinburgh, up the M6. The scenery was beautiful, and we stopped for lunch just north of Carlie where there was another service station with 4 Tesla Chargers. Again by the time we finished lunch the car was at 100% charge, so we headed up to Edinburgh. This was when we were really thankful for having a massive car, our daughter hand been sat in the car seat for nearly 5 hrs that day and we needed everything thing possible to keep her entertained. The roads were amazing when we turned off the M-way!!

[​IMG]

Anyone whos been to Edinburgh knows how hard city parking is we had some underground parking which was great, and given the traffic in town elected not to move the car for the next few days. It also meant we didn’t have anyway to charge the car, but with 40% charge left in the battery I wasn’t worried.

[​IMG]

Return leg: Edinburgh to Leicester, via Leeds – 318 miles, 6h 30 min.

For the return leg we split the trip into two again for our daughter. First stop was just as Abington for breakfast/break. The car arrived with 10% charge but after 30 minutes was back up to 75%. This was enough to get us to Tebay with ease. When we arrived at Tebay it was time for lunch and gave much daughter a chance to run around before the drive to Leeds via the A roads, the car had once again got to 100% charge before we were ready to go. The scenery was lovely, but I was glad to pull into the hotel in Leeds, 2hrs spent navigating twisty Yorkshire A roads does knacker you out!!

[​IMG]

Finally after spending a lovely night in Leeds, we headed up back home. Again I didn’t bother looking for a charger in Leeds, as I knew the car had enough range for the last leg. So finally after nearly 690 miles we were home!!.

The car performed perfectly, we didn’t need to stop any where any longer than we wanted to, didn’t need to bother looking for charging points in hotels/friends house, we didn't need to drive at 50mph behind a lorry. We simply drove it as would our previous cars.

So anyone whos still not sure how EVs can cope on a long family trip.....as long as you have a 200 miles range EV, with associated reliable charging network it simply isnt an issue.

Oh I forgot the average temp for our trip was around 5 degrees, and we never needed to turn any heating/light off to make it to the next stop. After this trip I can confidently say EVs really are a viable option for most, all that remains to be solved is get the price lower and more reliable M-way charging :).

We are planning our summer road trip already!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
  2. Desmo

Desmo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,922
    Great write up....certainly makes me feel more confident in the longer journeys I may be doing in the future.

Is that a dashcam I see in one of the pics? Which model do you have?

3. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40,558
    Nice write up @gangzoom, I hope that's not your home address on the Google map though?

4. Alan CD

Alan CD
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,685
    There was a young girl from Buckingham,
    Who stood on a bridge in Uppingham,
    Watching the stunts of the...

Sorry, but the address on the map immediately brought the very rude limerick to mind.

Good post. One day in the not to distant future I hope all EVs will have a similar range and ease of charging as the Tesla.

... But without the cost :)

5. gangzoom

gangzoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +989
    No just a random dot on the map in a similar area :)

6. DOBLY

DOBLY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +535
    That's great - the entire trip cost nothing in fuel (except your initial charge at home).
    I wonder how much it cost Tesla in electricity - presumably the superchargers are connected to the grid? (I appreciate that part of the cost of the car contributed towards the set-up and upkeep of the supercharger network)

7. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40,558
    Tee Hee, I saw a Tesla charging at a dirty public post in Abingdon today,,,

Presumably they couldn't quite make it to the nearest Safe Place :laugh:

8. gangzoom

gangzoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +989
    Apparently the data roaming costs of the car's built in 4G connection costs Tesla more money to upkeep than the Superchargers!

I use Spotify almost every time I get in the car, the satnav downloads Google Maps data all the time as well, all that data use if totally 'free' with no subscription/contract. Where as I've only used Superchargers a handful of times in the last few K miles.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
  9. Desmo

Desmo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,922
    I do wonder why they don't keep a local store of Google maps in the car and just update it maybe once a week/month as you drive through an area.

On mobile phones you can download huge areas from Google maps to store on the phone and it's not a huge amount of data. Doing that in the car automatically for the whole of the UK on Wifi at home would be easy and then the car can do smaller updates as and when necessary either by Wifi or on the move.

10. lovegroova

lovegroova

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +388
    Google maps updates "offline areas" once a month.

11. Desmo

Desmo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,922
    It does....which would still be much better for data consumption. I'm just wondering why Tesla didn't go this route. It could even be done via Wifi at home like other updates.

12. lovegroova

lovegroova

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +388
    I'd be surprised that Tesla's data costs are particularly high given the relatively small number of cars they've sold here (6,621 in total 5,509 Model S and 1,112 Model XX or so based on "How Many Left" - assuming I've not cocked up the analysis :D ).

Given a 100Gb plan is £30 or so, that's £200k a month, but I'd imagine Tesla is paying a lot less than that given volume pricing and the fact that most users won't use all that much data - maps and music aren't huge uses.

zoomer, here's one for you:
    How much electricity does it take run a Tesla for 1 mile? We could price that up and figure out an approximate cost for an average monthly usage of 800 miles for each car, and then multiply that to get an overall cost to Tesla.

13. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40,558
    That would give a max cost, the actual costs will be much lower if like gangzoom other Tesla owners do much of their charging at home.

14. lovegroova

lovegroova

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +388
    Well, we can adjust accordingly.

15. gangzoom

gangzoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +989
    This one below, really cheap but does the job, 'fitted' my self simply plugs into the cigarette lighter socket, wire run through the trim - used a micro usb 5 meter extension cable.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dashboard-Dashcam-G-Sensor-Blackbox-Recorder/dp/B01F5C950I

16. gangzoom

gangzoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +989
    The entire Tesla fleet of S and X cars to date have 'free' data access, that's world wide and pan continental in Europe/North America (not sure what happens if you drive a US car into Brazil though).

If you take your figure of £200K a month just for the 6,621 UK cars and multiply by the total number of cars Tesla have delivered to date you can get an idea of costs involved. This year alone Tesla is on track to deliver 100K cars, at £30/month per car that's £3million/month on data access, add in all the cars from previous years that's a decent chunk of cash disappearing every month!!

@IronGiant points out most EV owners (not just Tesla owners) do their charging at home. I estimate my electricity costs on the X is around 3-4p/mile. At such low costs its not worth my time going out of my way to charge using a Supercharger even though it's free.....Life is too short.

Through out our trip I only came across ONE other Tesla charging at the sites we used.

17. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40,558
    I was rather surprised to see what I took to be a Model S recharging at Abingdon Waitrose yesterday. Didn't want to be too nosy as the owner was sitting in it :)

18. lovegroova

lovegroova

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +388
    As I pointed out, there's no way they are paying £30 per month, per car for data. Probably not even £3 per month per car.

I'm amazed you don't know exactly how many cars they've delivered to-date, though. Elon will be round to spank your bottom later :rotfl:

As for leccy costs, let's say 200 miles of supercharger per month, per car at 4p per mile for 6,621 cars, that's £50k or so.

19. gangzoom

gangzoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +989
    Your right I should know :)

But in regards to costs for the end customers (ie me) its all 'free' for as long as I own the car, so its almost irrelevant regarding costs of data/charging.

Our X is going to be with us for a long long time, I might be tempted to upgrade to a P100D verison when used prices soften a bit, or when Tesla introduce a 120-130kWh9 battery - which would equal 350+ miles or real life range....but thats all in the future, for now I just cannot help smile everytime I get in the car :).

20. martimu

martimu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +423
    I enjoy our electric immensely but it is limiting. The public network is next to useless but we don't need to use it, fortunately. If we had the cash then I would buy a Tesla and be done with it. We have a few friends with them and they are just fantastic.

21. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40,558
    You'd lose free charging if you did that I assume?

22. gangzoom

gangzoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +989
    Probably but lets face it anyone buying a Tesla can afford to pay for Supercharging.

The main issue is simply £££. Our current 75D X is already quicker to 60 than the quickest/most expensive Audi SQ7, RangeRover, with a sub 5 second time. Though the top spec Cayenn Turbo S is quicker, and a P100D X shaves a massive 1.5 seconds off the time.

However as specced our X is cheaper than all those cars, and by some margin, infact you could buy our car twice for the price of a P100D. I would love the extra speed but not for that amount of cash :(.

Having driven a 'Performance' variant of the S I really do feel the NEED to own a car that can crack 60 in sub 3.5 seconds. Used prices of the P85/90D Model S are falling nicely, so most likel we'll get one of those to replace my wifes car or the yet to be announced P version of the Model 3.....

Bizzarly though day to day I hardly ever use the full performance of our current car, I much perfer taking things easy. Tesla just introduces a new 'chill' mode for the car which reduces the initial torque, essentially an 'eco' throttle map like on the Leaf. Tired it for the frist time and saw nearly 4 miles per kWh which is crazy efficency for such a massive car!!

[​IMG]

23. outoftheknow

outoftheknow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,191
    Why is that bizarre? It is a family SUV after all? You wouldn’t be haring around accelerating to speed limits at max acceleration all the time?

Granted it would be fun to have the 3.5 second capability in any car - but it isn’t for everyday use in any car really?

24. gangzoom

gangzoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +989
    Given the Tesla truck will be able to get to 60 in 5seconds, and the roadster under 2seconds, 3.5 I suspect will be the bare minimum for any 'performance' car.

One thing is for sure our X will be joined by another quicker Tesla sooner rather than later.....just a matter of timing and available £.