1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

6600GT vs 9600XT & 9800XT Ultimate

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by mikearv, Dec 1, 2004.

1. mikearv

mikearv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Currently mulling over a new card, since the 6600GT have been out I've read alot of reports of people having problems with stuttering and not being all they were hyped up to be.

I really want a passive card, how does the sapphire 9600XT Ultimate edition compare to the 6600GT in terms of PQ? the 9600XT is round about £20-30 cheaper.

I would happily get a 6600GT but the aftermarket cooling options for the AGP versions expecially seem some what non-exsistant.

I've also just spotted the 9800XT Ultimate http://www.sapphiretech.com/vga/9800-xt-ult.asp which is also passively cooled.

2. homethx

homethx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    I use the 9600xt ultimate in my MCE 05 machine I've no complaints . i don't know about the other cards but silence is bliss , It depends on what you want it for games or HTPC.

3. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    It also depends on what player you use..... I wouldn;t say that ATI 9800XT's and TT2 are the best combination presently and the 6600GT does solve some issues (and naturally create others.....) the 6800GT is also plagued with various issues apparently. I think they call this cutting edge...... At some stage you are going to play games on it so...........

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Not sure what problems 6800GTs are supposed to have, I've not noticed anything of significance in the week or so I changed my 9600XT for one. :confused:

5. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    There are reports just about everywhere of various issues in the firmware that the native design of the 660GT apparently aviods....... If your happy don't go looking for these posts ;) TheatreTek forum has loads as does AVS

6. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I'm aware that the 6800 is broken insofar as WMV decode support is concerned .. that is most definitely the only difference between the NV40 and NV43 chips that I'm aware of, and I am reading TT and AVS daily, especially the 6800 and 6600 threads on AVS, and also the Anandtech article which provided details of the broken WMV decoder.

The only other problem some 6800s seem to have are closed piplelines, the reasons for which seem obscure, not all brands suffer from them it seems.

7. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    If I was to comment honestly I'd say there are far more issues with TT than there will ever be with any of the cards mentioned, what on earth is going on........
    Might as well just get a pixelprefect card and sit back and enjoy.....(until my Son wants to play DoomIII that is......) I hate to say this but WM10 has a lot going for it currently (i.e. it works!).

8. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I wouldn't argue about problems with TT. :(