6600gt Tearing Help

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by dazzer123, Mar 21, 2006.

1. dazzer123

dazzer123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi just purchased a 6600gt to try and improve pic quality didn't install the leadtek drivers that came with it i installed the lateset whql ones from nvidia and when watching dvds or running mad onion stuff although that is not a priority at all i am getting bad tearing can this be cured or have i wasted my money and should i put my fx5200 back in please help.

Also when viewing on my projector i keep losing the signal to the projector via dvi if i set the resolution above 1024x768 this does not seem good from a clean install.

2. dazzer123

dazzer123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    anyone have any ideas i just can not get this card to run satisfactorily tearing judder all sorts do any ati cards have keystone correction like the nvidia cards if so i would consider changing.

3. dazzer123

dazzer123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Feel like im talking to myself here :D but my power supply isnt that great and i feel i could be putting it under some strain, that said on the theatertek forums lots of people complain about tearing with 6600gt's would i be better off with a new power supply and perhaps the nvidia 6200 with 256mb ram onboard would this be a better solution to combating judder and tearing whatever card i have it must support keystone correction for my projector.

4. catdna

catdna
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just a stab in the dark but :

1. What refresh rate are your running on the PC / Projector ?

2. What type of material are you trying to view ? (NTSC/PAL/etc)

3. You say you are using Theatertek - are you using VRM9 ? Renderless ?

Without a little more info, there's not much help to offer.

(BTW - I doubt it's a power issue - if your card didn't have enough power, I doubt that you'd see anything ! ;))

5. dazzer123

dazzer123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4

1. 1280 x 720 to a panny AE500 ie:1:1 pixel mapping

2. Well i'm afraid this is a bit of a mixed bag a bit of both over dvi but projector will only take 60hz anyway at 1280x720.

3. i have tried renderless i still got tearing I've tried vmr 9 without full screen mode iv'e also tried overlay, what i now keep getting on the projector when using theatertek 2.2 is two windows one blank and another with the video in called active movie screen really weird when i revert my display back to vga on the plasma theatertek reverts back to normal i am on a trial version with 4 day's left to run.

re: the power supply it seems to be making a bit of a noise as though it is shorting out it is only the cheapo one 300w macron that came with the case i was thinking perhaps of trying to get a reasonable 400w, also i think i may now be in a position where i have tried that many forceware versions that it may have screwed things up to some extent could it be time for another clean install.

If i do perform another clean install what drivers to use the latest? all the same the 6600Gt is now out and is going back but do i revert to my FX5200 or get a 256mb 6200 or try another 6600Gt as i say any card i have must have the keystone correction for use with projector i was wondering if this might require more memory on board.

6. catdna

catdna
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Hmmm....

well :

1. 1:1 pixel mapping should be fine

2. If your projector only takes 60hz, then it could be a problem with the source material not being 30 frames p/second - although rather than 'tearing' I'd have expected 'juddering' pans / frames etc.

3. I've used Theatertek in the past (radeon 9600), but with my 6600gt, TT always switches over to 60hz now (and my plasma can handle it, but PAL material is then screwed, and my 'overscan' is only set for 50hz so I lose parts of the picture....grrrr...).

Have you tried ZoomPlayer ? that has many different types of renderers / codec combinations you can try.

I'm wondering if it could be some setting in the NVidia codec in theatertek that's causing the problem ?

Your power supply definitely sounds on it's way out (although like I said, I doubt this will be causing your 'tearing' problem ;))

As for the latest drivers - I just go to nvidia.com, click on 'download drivers' - choose 'graphics / GeForce / winxp' and download the latest version - never had a problem. A 6600gt should be more than enough for your needs - it's possible somethings got screwed by the driver updates (but I wouldn't bet on it) - it's more likely some issue with the codec or your source material ? (or your player ? wow ... the list goes on :eek: )

Cheers

Chris

7. dazzer123

dazzer123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for that i just hope it comes right took the 6600 back they said it was faulty but i don't expect any better from the new one many people as i have said are complaining about tearing on theatertek forums which to me effectively makes the card a complete dud don't know what to do next.

8. Jack the lad

Jack the lad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    I had this on my setup :thumbsdow

I ended up un-istalling anything to do with Quicktime and iPod stuff. This helped a little but didnt completely remove the issue.

But turning the nVidia from Dualview or Clone ect. to Single Display cured it completely :thumbsup:

9. dazzer123

dazzer123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi thx for your reply Jack i will give the single display thing a go later i do tend to use clone a lot for convinience, but have sometimes found i cant display a dvd until iv'e set the projector to a single display so i will give it a go and hope for the best, i have now put my new 6600gt in and i have had it working in overlay but not vmr9 even renderless mode i still get tearing so i will see what happens.