1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

6600GT (Fanless) refresh rate question

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by hebawom, Jun 16, 2005.

1. hebawom

hebawom
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently upgraded my FX5700 to a 6600GT. Very good improvement in PQ and obviously in sound reduction. However, if I try and use powerstip with this card it crashes. That is, all my PJ says is "Out of frequency" - I then reset and it does it every time, the only way I can get back to windows is by going into safe mode and uninstalling powerstrip.

I don't mind not using powerstrip if I knew how to get 50Hz refresh rate on this card. I've messed in the card options a little and the refresh rate seems to be set at 60 and no other option to change it.

Any ideas?

2. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    You can type in a custom refresh rate, but they don't always work... maybe 50hz is not supported?

3. hebawom

hebawom
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    can you remember where do you type it in?
    I think I have the same card as you - the gigabyte one. So, do you use a 50Hz refresh?

4. Son of Shaft

Son of Shaft
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've got a 6800LE but I think the display driver properties tabs are the same. Display properties->Advanced->you should see a tab with the type number of your card, mine says NVIDIA 6800LE. When you click that you get a side bar with options, like temperature, colour correction etc. Go to Display resolution & refreshrates. There at he bottom you should have custom res. and refresh rates. With add you can add custom res. but here they are limited to 60Hz. You should also see a button with advanced timing there you can set lower refresh rates. even as low as 23,97.

But wether it works depends on the driver you're using. With the current driver I'm using it doesn't work with a previous one it did.

5. TheCrow

TheCrow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    I've got a "fanless" 6600GT which I use with Powerstrip at 50Hz without any problems.

My card is a Gigabyte GV-NX66T128VP

I am using nVidia 71.84 drivers in Windows MCE 2005.

Powerstrip Version 3.6

Conecting via DVI with 1280x768 resolution @ 49.999Hz into a Pioneer MXE1 plasma.

Have you re-Setup Powerstrip since installing the 6600GT?
    If not that's worth a try as it sounds as if the graphics card is not putting out the approprate frequencies for your PJ.

6. hebawom

hebawom
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My card is a Gigabyte GV-NX66T128VP

I am using ForceWare 77.13 BETA drivers in Windows MCE 2005.

Powerstrip Version 3.6

Conecting via VGA with 1280x720 resolution @ 60Hz into a Sony HS50 PJ.

So, the only difference is our drivers - so do you suggest I try an older version?
    I found out about these drivers on a forum and everyone was saying they were the best thing since sliced bread. But if you can't use powerstrip with them, they're not as good as I was lead to believe!!

7. TheCrow

TheCrow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    I have no experiance with the beta drivers so wouldn't like to say if that's your problem. But I don't mind installing them to see if it breaks my setup (I have a Ghost image to restore my system afterwards). I'll try to give it a go tonight and let you know.

8. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    This is interesting, I have the same card, no powerstrip installed and drivers 67.66 and I can just add 50hz as a custom refresh rate by...

selecting 'screen resolution and refresh rates' in the driver, clicking add, typing over the numbers and clicking add again. Now when I open the nvidia settings via the task bar icon (by clock) I can go to refresh rates and choose whichever one I want.

BTW - I am connected via DVI to a PW7 plasma, resolution is 1024 x 576, what refresh rate should I be using? Whichever I try they all look the same to me.

Also going to try out those newer drivers, in case they are better....

lisa

9. TheCrow

TheCrow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Hebawom - installed Beta 77.13 (from Guru 3D) over my 71.84 and Powerstrip setup and everything still works OK. Powerstrip noticed the drivers had changed and suggested I may need to adjust my timings but everything still works as expected.

Therefore I don't think your drivers are the issue.

Other differences between our setups are I am using DVI which is a different head and RAMDAC to the VGA output.

Also my resolution is a "semi-standard" PC resolution 1280x768 where as yours is a HD video resolution 1280x720.

But I think adjusting your timings is probably the answer. Not an easy task but I did it by trial and error using a second monitor attached to the 6600GT, so that when I got it wrong and my plasma didn't lock "Out of Range" I could still re-adjust powerstrip using the second monitor.

Lisa - I too can set my 6600GT to 50Hz using the advanced settings on the nVidia drivers but the actual refresh rate I could achieve was 49.8Hz and although my plasma was happy with that I could still see occasional judder. Powerstrip allows me to actually achieve 49.999Hz at which point I see no judder at all.

I used Reclock to measure my refresh rate and tell me when the video refresh is in sync with the audio clock. i.e. I use Powerstrip to adjust the refresh rate until Reclock does not need to make any correction to the audio clock. I then disable Reclock (as I doesn't work for me with Live TV in MCE) and everything looks smooth :D .

I have no experience of the PW7 but most plasmas run at a refresh rate of 60Hz and although they will accept 50Hz they actually do a frame rate convert to 60Hz to display the image which defeats the point. One of the few exceptions is the Pioneer MXE1 which has a special FRC mode that allows it to lock to an external 50Hz signal and run the display at that refresh rate. (It was designed for use in TV studios where you need to sync the display with the studio cameras to avoid flicker. It will also do 48Hz for film shoots.)

The fact your see no difference between refresh rates suggests to me your display is fixed at 60Hz, but I don't know your plasma so I may be wrong

10. hebawom

hebawom
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, well I didn't get it sorted last night, so I'll try the 2nd monitor idea over the weekend. Thanks for everyones input!

And what about the new drivers? Are you going to keep them? I just checked out that site and there has been alot more driver releases since I last saw it! Does it stand that with each driver release, they get better and more effecient?
    I'm not sure that I noticed a difference in picture quality when I tried a newer driver, but I guess that there could be a reduction in temperature or some other hidden value.

11. TheCrow

TheCrow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    I am going to keep the drivers unless I find an issue with them. Quite often I find beta drivers upset my S3 standby.

I don't think every beta release is better than the last, there appears to be versions that are key mile stones in performance and others that are a step backwards. Personaly I don't have the time to evaluate each release and tend to stick to official releases.

In the end I built my HTPC to watch movies, which I enjoy more than installing new software :rotfl:

12. Nick Cartwright

Nick Cartwright

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't know if you have fixed this, but you may need to upgrade Powerstrip.

I swapped cards a year ago, and had problems with Powerstrip, a simple upgrade cured them. Powerstrip was over 2 years old at the time and wouldn't cope with newer cards.

13. hebawom

hebawom
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, after hours of mucking about I managed to solve this one. And basically my mistake was upgrading my GFX drivers without properly uninstalling the old ones. So, I downloaded <A HREF="http://www.drivercleaner.net/">Driver Cleaner Pro</A>, uninstalled the graphics drivers in control panel then used driver cleaner in safe mode and removed all nvidia drivers then installed new drivers and everything worked smashingly!

Settled for the 77.50 drivers in the end. Thanks for everyones contribution, problem now solved.

14. TheCrow

TheCrow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    I noticed that nVidia have just officially releases 77.72 for XP and a specific 72.14 for MCE.