Question 65PUS8204 - backlight bleed or IPS glow, and is this too much?

timblake9

Novice Member
Hi All,

Bought a brand new 65PUS8204, my first Ambilight product, and as soon as I set it up and turned it on my first thought was there was way too much light around the edges of the screen. The bottom right corner of the screen had a 'reddish' haze around it and on the other corners it just looked like white light leaking through.

On further research on the net about backlight bleed, I saw some comments mentioning that IPS glow is a different issue so not sure exactly what this one is. Either way, it's pretty noticeable to me.

Picture below of the TV in a dark room running a test from lightbleedtest.com. I understand that photos from phone camera make the issue worse than it is. For comparison however, is my other TV (panasonic 50EX700B), which I didn't actually realise was also an IPS panel, that I did the same test on. It has some small bleed/glow based on the photo (again likely exaggerated by the camera) but something I had never actually noticed in the year I've been using it, and nothing compared to the Philips.

Since the TV is brand new, I'm very tempted to just take it back. From comments I've seen across HUKD, it seems pretty hit or miss as to whether you would get one of these TVs without the issues; a number of people saying theirs is fine but a number saying they've returned it for the same issues. I was really excited about getting an Ambilight and would go for a VA panel instead but my understanding is the larger screen sizes are all IPS, and in this particular model its only the 50" that is VA.

65PUS8204

IMG_20200123_055225.jpg

50EX700B

IMG_20200123_055533.jpg

Any help/feedback/suggestions is appreciated

Dodgexander

IPS glow is a term used when you view a TV using an IPS type panel at a tight vertical angle, normally viewing upward. It has nothing to do with screen uniformity otherwise.

Light bleed is a term used where light bleeds through the panel, usually at the edges of the screen.

What you are witnessing on the Philips is typical of a TV using an IPS type panel, the EX700 you posted is using a VA type panel and therefore leaks less light through from behind the TV.

There's lots of terms people use, often incorrectly. I think it's best just to use the terminology screen uniformity.

I'd suggest reading this:

illetyus

Hi All,

Bought a brand new 65PUS8204, my first Ambilight product, and as soon as I set it up and turned it on my first thought was there was way too much light around the edges of the screen. The bottom right corner of the screen had a 'reddish' haze around it and on the other corners it just looked like white light leaking through.

On further research on the net about backlight bleed, I saw some comments mentioning that IPS glow is a different issue so not sure exactly what this one is. Either way, it's pretty noticeable to me.

Picture below of the TV in a dark room running a test from lightbleedtest.com. I understand that photos from phone camera make the issue worse than it is. For comparison however, is my other TV (panasonic 50EX700B), which I didn't actually realise was also an IPS panel, that I did the same test on. It has some small bleed/glow based on the photo (again likely exaggerated by the camera) but something I had never actually noticed in the year I've been using it, and nothing compared to the Philips.

Since the TV is brand new, I'm very tempted to just take it back. From comments I've seen across HUKD, it seems pretty hit or miss as to whether you would get one of these TVs without the issues; a number of people saying theirs is fine but a number saying they've returned it for the same issues. I was really excited about getting an Ambilight and would go for a VA panel instead but my understanding is the larger screen sizes are all IPS, and in this particular model its only the 50" that is VA.

65PUS8204

View attachment 1248457

50EX700B

View attachment 1248458

Any help/feedback/suggestions is appreciated

Are we sure that 65PUS8204 uses IPS panel?

Nichollass

Standard Member
Are we sure that 65PUS8204 uses IPS panel?
Pretty sure it uses IPS and Edge LED.
I was also thinking to get that version.
Now i am between 65PUS8102 and 65PUS8503
The 8102 has VA panel with Direct Led FullArray - Local Dimmin 128zones, 100-120hz panel.So all.of thia over or better then what 8204 has.
The 8503 has IPS and Edge Led.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom